Crossing my Fingers!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I might score on a 120 gallon tank with stand and hood for around $600.

That includes a sump tank that can do 200 gallons, a new double bright LED strip light, and a new hang on the back overflow that's rated for 150 gallons.

The Sump is used but it's been cleaned out already. The only issue with the tank is that it's not pre-driiled so I would have to go with a hang on the back overflow. Besides that the only real issue is the tank needs to be cleaned.

I would be buying it from a retail store that sales used tanks for people. The tank I would be buying use to belong to a Cincinnati Reds pitcher.:lol: I think it was "Mat Latos", but could be wrong. He upgraded to a WAY bigger reef tank and wanted to sale his old 120 gallon.

I was wondering your thoughts as this would be a FOWLR tank. I already got 80 pounds of live rock and 90 pounds of live sand in my 55. I wouldn't be adding more rock to the tank, but will be adding more sand. Not live sand.
The Tank, Stand, Hood, and Sump will be the only thing used. The Light Strip, HOB overflow, and Bio-Balls would be new.

I talked to him about the Bio-Balls and asked if I should add Live rock instead, he said being that it was FOWLR the bio-balls would be fine, but if I wanted to do a reef he wouldn't recommend them and go with live rock. I might just use the bio-balls for now and switch over to live rock latter.

My stock list would be what I have now, but I was hoping for your input on what else I should put in. I have right now!

1 Yellow Tang
1 Yellow Eye Tang
1 Flame Hawk Fish
1 Blue Spotted Toby Puffer
1 Coral Beauty
1 Spiny Sea Urchin

I wanted to upgrade to a 75 to give my guys more room, but buying everything new for a 75 would cost just as much for this 120 gallon. The back of the tank is already spray painted black, so I would keep that. He also sprayed the two sides as this was in a wall I guess. So I will have to scrap off the black paint on the two sides. Besides that the tank looks like it's in good shape. Plus there is a warranty. My only issue is now that I will have to wait until the end of this month to put a $200 dollar deposit on it so he will hold it until the end of the month when I will have the rest of the money. So I pray it does not sale!

So in all for $600 bucks this tank comes ready to rock and roll out of the store. Only thing I would need to do is clean it and scrap the paint off the sides. I might touch up the stand and hood as well with new paint. :p

sounds good to me, though i would ditch the bioballs. they are known for causing nitrate issues. your yellow tang will definitely appreciate more swimming room.

That's why I want this tank so bad! I know the Yellow tank needs a bigger space and I want to get him that space. I don't want to rehash the story but I got him and his yellow eye friend out of small tanks. The yellow was nipped to death because the tank mates he had in the bigger tank didn't like him. So they moved in in the small tank.

I was going to upgrade to the 75 because that's really all I can afford right now, but a used 120 gallon that's ready to go within the same price range would be a dream come true if it's still there by the end of this month.

Plus I want a Blue Hippo Tang and the 120 would be plenty of room for all my Tangs. :p Becides the Blue Hippo Tang what else would be good to throw in there? I know I am getting another Six Line Wrasse as mine decided to Jump ship. :-/

How much fish could go in there with my current stock list? I would like a lot of verity that would not overload my tank, but make my tank Pop with color. I was thinking about 10 fish in total?

Here is what I was thinking.
(what I have now)
1 Yellow Tang
1 Yellow Eye Tang
1 Flame Hawk Fish
1 Coral Beauty
(What I want to add)
1 Yellow Belly Regal Blue Tang
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Scott's Fairy Wrasse
1 Flame Angelfish
1 Blue Hippo Tang

Plus I would still have the Spiny Sea Urchin.

I don't want to over do my tank, but I like Tangs. I know two angelfish are not so good, but I figured with all the space, plus with them being way different body shape and color I might be all right. Same with the Wrasses.
I would have to update my power heads as all I got is two nano for my 55.

Plus I want a Blue Hippo Tang and the 120 would be plenty of room for all my Tangs.

Are you sure its a 120 not a 125 gal tank? A 120 is only 4 feet long, and not really recommended for even a Yellow Tang (they recommend a 5 ft tank). A Hippo needs a wider 6 ft tank (rather than a narrow 6 ft tank front to back).

I would also ditch the bioballs now, rather than putting it off unit later. Its so much of a hassle changing that type of stuff when the sump is in operation.

Here's my 2 cents on that. Bioballs do 1 thing. They provide a surface for bacteria to convert waster to nitrate. But, thats already happening everywhere in you tank, glass walls, pumps, sand, rocks, plumbing, everywhere there is a surface.
My personal opinion on a sump is it serves 2 critical purposes; 1. an out of sight place to run equipment, including the all important skimmer (and heaters, reactors, ATO etc), 2. a place to grow macro algae or other plants to consume evil evil nitrates. Now if you have space and/or nitrites/ammonia become an issue you can add additional rocks down there, and the rocks will also convert a small amount of nitrate to nitrogen. Also it allows you to store some rocks that you might want to add to your rock structure down the road.

+1 to that, i figured it was a 6 footer lol. if its not, you definitely won't be able to get a hippo. the only tang on your list, suitable for a 4 foot tank, is the yellow eye kole tang.

It might be a little bigger, because when I measured the tank it was 5 feet long.

Honestly it could be a little different because the 120 I see online are really tall, the one I am looking is longer and not as tall.

Guys, it's this!

120 Long 60 x 18 x 26

So I would only be losing one foot. I don't think that is going to kill the Tangs.
I would also be adding six more inches to my turn around space and 5 more in to my height.

The only thing that makes no sense to me is that the tall 120 is 24in high and the one I am looking at is 26in high. So why would the 48in be considered the tall one?

This would a great thing for me because I don't want to stunt my Yellow Tangs Growth, but I don't want to give him up. I was going to upgrade to a 180 gallon tank the end of this year but that fell though, so I was going to go with a 75 gallon for a quick fix while I wait to get the money for a 180. This 120 long tank can make me rest at ease a little better because it will give my Tangs the space they need and not break my bank account. It would also be cheaper than the 75 gallon. I was ready to spend 800 dollars all for a BRAND new 75 gallon set up. If I can spend the 600 dollars for this tank plus a little more for other things needed, I would be happy and my fish would be happy. I am still going to get the 180 gallon someday.

i believe the 120 long is 18 inches high and 26 front to back and the 120 tall is 24 inches high and 24 front to back. you could probably get away with the yellow tang, but blue hippos need a ton of swimming space and some say they need 8 foot tanks.

So you want to put a Yellow, Kole and 2 Blue Tangs in a single 120 gal 4+ft tank? And 2 Angels just to stress everybody out? Hmmm...there may be fishsticks in your future.

OOps, timing issue. OK, so a 5 ft tank. The blues need significant turn around room. The 180 gal they recommend is also 2 ft wide. You higher 5 ft tank is also narrower.

Ingy (yeah, I like to edit my post a lot! LOL)

That's why I am asking here. I don't want to put anything in my tank to stress anyone out.

So if the blue tangs are not a good fit what would you add? That's why I am asking here before I stock the tank! I see they need at least a 180 from liveaquaria, so I can drop them. What would you add?

I have not even bought the tank yet! I might have to get rid of my Yellow Tang and Yellow Eye Tang if I can not get this tank! I don't want to stress any fish out.

I was asking if the two Angels would be fine as long as they had space. If not what would be suggested for this size tank with the current stock list I have. Also liveaquaria says a Yellow Tang is good in a 100 Gallon tank, so I think a 120 long tank would be good.

Would it be cool to just add 2 more yellow tangs? Kind of like a little school of them? I know as long as I add all the Tangs together it would be ok. I am asking here because I honestly want to know what would be a GREAT stock list for this tank.

Aquandrew

According to this Websites it list the dimensions as 60L x 18W x 26H
Standard Aquarium Sizes | Fintastic.

So I don't know. All I know it's a 5 foot long tank! I know that! :p It could be mislabeled? All I know it's way bigger than what I have now. It could be 18in wide because my 55 is only 12in wide and when I put the tape measure up to see how much more 18in would add it seemed about the size of the sides that tank had. When and IF I can put a deposit down on it I will check it out and measure the sides. In fact I will just call them now and ask them to do it for me. :p

Straight from the horses mouth! They measured for me!

It is not 26in High! The tank measures in inches 60L X 18W X 21H.

So the website is wrong!

it will probably work for everything, but the blue hippo. even the yellow tang will need a bigger tank, when it is grown more. you don't want to stress the animals you care for, their life is in your hands

I agree with the Blue Hippos.

The Yellow Tang on Live Aquaria says 100 gallons is fine for their whole life.

I won't be doing the Blue Hippos. I just wonder what else would be good. I will eventually be getting a 180 or if I get this tank I will just save up for a bigger tank. Perhaps a 220. :p

Ok, So I am dropping all the BIG Tangs from my list of new comers! I still want to know how many fish would be good for this tank? I kind of want to be understocked but right at the limit of understocked.

1 Yellow Tang
1 Yellow Eye Tang
1 Flame Hawk Fish
1 Coral Beauty
(What I want to add)
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Scott's Fairy Wrasse
1 Foxface Lo
1 Striped Squirrelfish
1 Bristletooth Tomini Tang

I would drop the Yellow...it really needs bigger. If you want yellow, maybe consider a Lemonpeel hybrid or Yellow Angelfish. I saw a hybrid the other day and really liked it.

The Squirrel is a cool looking fish, but they hide in the day and come out at night...just something to consider. Cool fish, you just won't see it much.

TheTodd

I already got the Yellow in my 55. Just throwing it out there with the Yellow, but every single website says a 55 gallon is Ok for the Yellow Tang, but liveaquaria, which says it only needs a 100 gallons. 99% of the people on this website always says go to Liveaquaria for tank requirements. So why am I being told different now? :-(

I thought you knew that I had the Yellow Tang already? Remember I bought him because he was all tore up and in a small tank. I bought him and put him in my 55 gallon. He healed up and is looking awesome!

I was going to upgrade to a 180 gallon tank the end of this year, but that fell though. I now have the opportunity to buy this tank for cheap and get it set up and running so I can get this guy a bigger space so he can grow more. He is not that big right now! I don't want to get rid of him because I got him when he was so pitiful looking and now he is gorgeous. It would be very hard for me to part ways with the guy after helping him heal up!

Also I wouldn't mind the Squirrel fish hiding! As long as when he is active at night he won't be tearing up my other fish that is sleeping. :p

Also wouldn't adding another Angel to my tank be bad being I already got the Coral Beauty?

That said, the rest of my list (Besides the Yellow) look good to you?

To to clarify!

This is what I have now in my 55 gallon tank.

1 Yellow Tang
1 Yellow Eye Tang
1 Flame Hawk Fish
1 Coral Beauty

(What I want to add)
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Scott's Fairy Wrasse
1 Foxface Lo
1 Striped Squirrelfish
1 Bristletooth Tomini Tang

Also "TheTodd" This is a 120 gallon LONG tank. Not a 120 gallon Tall tank. I am well aware that the 100 gallon tank is 6 foot in length. The tank I am buying is 5 foot in length. The 120 gallon Long is about 2in taller than the 100 gallon but it's the same width. I just can't see how one foot will make a BIG difference in terms of my guys health. One thing is clear, I need to get him out of the 55 gallon tank!

Okay...so it is a 120, but 5'? I read so many posts and I think this one had me confused because at one point something was mentioned about a 75g.. :). Will the yellow be okay in a 5' tank? Probably yes, but ideally I still feel that Tangs outside the bristle toothed group do better with 6'. Tank size does not directly kill fish, but it can cause stress, which often leads to health issues, which often lead to shorter lifespans. I try to go with larger than "minimum". That's just me.

I think the rest of the list looks good though. The squirrel fish was just an FYI as some people purchase fish like that not knowing they are nocturnal and then are disappointed when they don't see them much. They are great looking fish...just saw three at my LFS and was considering possibly getting a couple for my 240g.

Keep an eye on the new Tang. I've always heard that you should add Tangs at the same time or there can be aggression issues. Never personally experienced that though.

Back
Top Bottom