Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cycling me fowlr tank

Hello ladies and gentlemen. New to this forum however I've been looking at peoples threads for months! So o finally got around to create a salt water tank so I got all the stuff 75 gall tank 20gall sump protein skim powerhead etc filled the tank up all salted up setup the sump had the water in the tank for a week or so before I setup sump however so anyway I did some tests and I got sky high nitrate nitrite off the scale intact and 0.6 ammonia I do understand this is the nitrogen cycle. So I got myself some caulerpa algae and 25kg of already matured live rock. Over the last few days not alot has happened test kit wise no budge on either of the 3 is this me being inpatient or am I doing something wrong. Thanks oh btw it's a sump fuge. If anyone could help me out much appreciated thanks

Old 01-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Give us some numbers on your nitrate and nitrite please. Also what did you use to start the cycle.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #3

Hey pal. I used raw shrimp straight into tank to de compose my nitrate and nitrite last checked was off the scale
Old 01-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

In that case I would recommend That you do a PWC (partial water change) of at least 20% and let the cycle continue.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #5

I tried a partial water change previously and their wasn't a change in results however I'm going to observe the caulerpa for possible growth and of course change in reduction of the nitrate
Old 01-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

personally i think you need to wait, this tank could take anything over 3-4 weeks as it is 90g of water.dont worry too much about the nitrates until ammonia has gone which it will,give it another week then test amm and nitrite.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #7

Thanks for the advise. I did consider waiting but wasn't sure don't wanna wait months and still be in the same position I did consider purchasing a live dsb which could generate the cycle even quicker. Wasn't sure because of having water dwelling for a week with no filtration.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The reason I said to do A PWC was that your nitrates should not be off the charts if you still had ammonia and nitrites.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adampugsley View Post
Thanks for the advise. I did consider waiting but wasn't sure don't wanna wait months and still be in the same position I did consider purchasing a live dsb which could generate the cycle even quicker. Wasn't sure because of having water dwelling for a week with no filtration.
By not waiting you could spend a lot of money trying to speed up the cycling process which won't help.A DSB will also take a long time to establish,how will you get a live dsb anyway?if you get a lot of live sand from another system you'll also be getting all the crap which comes with it causing another cycle.You have to be patient in this hobby
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with David!

Tags
cycling, fowlr, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« white rock | Sump »