Diamond watchman Goby gone missing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utilation

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I haven't seen my diamond watchman goby since I got him it's been 13 days since I placed him in my display tank I saw him swim to the Rock and haven't seen him since. He was drip acclimated I see some moved sand around the back of my tank within the first few days but I haven't seen any more signs of sand being moved around and haven't see him come out once. I've checked my carpet everyday and it has a tight top so he won't jump out. Is it possible he died under the substrate I haven't seen any signs of ammonia or anything. If he did die under the substrate would I see signs of ammonia or nitrites or not until he was dislodged from under the sand like would the sand keep it suppressed? Thanks for any help!

I wouldn't bet on him being dead. Mine was missing for two weeks found him in the sump under the return pump. Went missing again a week later. I took everything out of the tank looking for him and couldn't find him so I bought a new one. Next day I found them both together under a rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Gobies are funny critters. There isn't much way of telling if it is still going or not. It could have easily made a burrow in the back of the tank or even jumped out. I've had fish vanish that I thought dead and a month or two later them come out during feeding time.

Yeah I haven't seem him EVER during feeding and havent seen a burrow anywhere although it could be towards the back of the tank but its a corner tank so its somewhat difficult to see back there. Isn't it odd I haven't seem him since he was acclimated to the tank, there is a tight lid and I havent seen him on the carpet anywhere around or behind the tank so I'm positive he hasn't jumped out. Is there anyway to know for sure without ripping apart my tank? Any way to lure him out maybe?

Good luck. If it's alive it'll come out when it's ready. It probably burrowed and is hiding as it adjusts to the new surroundings.

Back
Top Bottom