Does your blue tang ever do this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin0329

Aquarium Advice Freak
My hippo has been doing this a lot lately. Curious if anyone knows why. What I'm talking about is the black turning yellow and at times as yellow as its tail. I know its not a health issue, just don't know why else.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130820_200438.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130820_200438.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20130820_200027.jpg
    IMG_20130820_200027.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 160
No, I'd have to disagree. At least as far as a hostile manner that is. My tangs get along great and there has never been any aggression towards each other. At least while I'm watching. Lol. That was my first thought though....

They don't have to be hostile for it to happen when it happens what fish is next to him.

In all actuality, she/he can be swimming freely by itself. Usually when she is swimming next to a power head but always at the front of the glass. Its almost like she's saying "hey you, stop watching that TV and look at me". And it seems to be in the evening when she does it too. She isn't very large yet but I'm wondering if its a sign of becoming more mature.

In all actuality, she/he can be swimming freely by itself. Usually when she is swimming next to a power head but always at the front of the glass. Its almost like she's saying "hey you, stop watching that TV and look at me". And it seems to be in the evening when she does it too. She isn't very large yet but I'm wondering if its a sign of becoming more mature.

My blue hippo was 3 years old when I sold it to a guy with a larger tank and it never did that. I wouldn't chalk it up to a good sign without researching what's going on with it. That's a beautiful fish and my absolute favorite tang so take the time to ensure it has good health. Maybe someone with some good experience will chime In soon.

I've had my blue for a couple years and have never seen anything like that happen. :-(

Following to see if someone else chimes in with the actual answer.

I would say to watch it though, turning colors isnt usually a good thing, anything out of the ordinary with a tang should be watched closely.

Good luck

At first I was a bit concerned. But this isn't anything new. Its been going on for several months now. Her eating habits or behavior haven't changed. Other than this. And when she does change colors, it only last for about 30 seconds at the most. Imma do some research. Ya'll got me worried again.

Let us know if you figure anything out, I;d be interested to see what it is, just in case it ever happens to mine.

Good luck, hopefully it is nothing.

A little more reading states it is believed they do this when they are excited.

Where did you find that information? I can't find anywhere that states that. All I found was "generally" if a fish changes from dark to light color other than when "sleeping" it's not a good sign.

They will bleach out when asleep, frightened or sick. But a healthy happy hippo doesn't change colors.

+1 unless you have a 1 in a 10,000,000 fish. I have never seen a happy hippo turn white like that. But it's up to you to find out why really because if its been going on for a long time, I would say its another fish that's bothering it. Not a illness but I wouldn't rule out anything without checking it out first.

My bet is another fish is stressing him out. Or you have a different hippo than I am use to. They are usually pretty aggressive and hold their ground. Mine is in with many other tangs and even a triggerfish and he is Mr. Mellow.

Back
Top Bottom