dying damsels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noob2saltH20

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok guys. I need some help. I have 12 10 gl sw tanks at work running on a MARS system. For some odd reason my stripped damsels are always dying. The blue ones are fine. My water tests are great and sg is at .19 ( can't raise it company won't let me) any ideas why. They could be dying? Ty vary much in advance

how long after arival are they dying? i know the guy at my LFS had troubles with dominos and it proved to because of the supplier

Its usually the day after but we get our blue damsels from the came distributer. I'm sure I could find out what company we get them fromm but that will take me sometime

it may just be the way they are catching the stripes vs the blues.. im no expert but we ran a little experiment and went to another lfs and bought some dominos and they lived for weeks afterwards before being sold

I work at Petco and have the exact same setup. 12 10gl tanks on a MARS system. The funny thing is the MARS system is supposed to be outdated so we're the only store in the area that still has one. Funny coincidence. What area do you live in?

Anyway I'm not sure if you've tested the salinity that you get your fish in at but my store usually gets shipments of fish that are in water closer to 1.016 so I would check that and match it. I lowered our salinity down to the same as the dealer's and noticed a big difference (since we rarely get the chance to properly acclimate them).

I doubt that's why the domino's are dying though. Our store hasn't had much success with them either but we have no trouble with the other fish. My guess is Brad may be right. Maybe our dealer is too rough on them if they're wild caught. It would kind of make sense since the dominos tend to hide in the rocks more than some of the other fish.

Yes I work at petco too how funny lol. Well they come in at .19 and I keep it at that. I think its a little. To low but what can u do right. I have to put the bio chem in tonight when we close so I'm hoping maybe that will help. The guy that was in aquatics b4 really messed everything up and its been a challenge to get everything up to par again

Back
Top Bottom