easy fowlr tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do I need to do anything to the live rock that's in the tanks? Or can I just drop it in?

You should probably cure the LR. I bought some LR from the store and just dropped it in and regretted not curing it.

Surface agitation is a good thing in saltwater tanks.

You should make a small refugium to get rid of nitrates because of the fact that you're making a fowlr, it will reduce the number of water changes since you won't really have to replace trace elements.

You should make a small refugium to get rid of nitrates because of the fact that you're making a fowlr, it will reduce the number of water changes since you won't really have to replace trace elements.

I've never heard of a 10 gal with a refugium, is that even possible with the limited space?

LordErrorprone said:
I've never heard of a 10 gal with a refugium, is that even possible with the limited space?

Yeah, you can make something small in the back, but some people would think it easier to just change the water lol

I'm of that group, on a 10g the water changes are easy peazy. Takes about 10min at most.

I don't run a skimmer on my 29g cube and do weekly water changes and the tank is stable. It's also a fish only tank right now. I do have a small fuge built in back but I also overfeed seriously overfeed the tank. I have a mandarin and a scooter in it and they need special feeding. My nitrates are running about 5-10 which is actually a bit high but liveable considering the feeding.

Its been a couple years but i think my ammonia spiked for a couple days when I put it in without curing.

Wait so if I have live sand and live rock from the tanks and seawater do I still have to cycle my tank and wait before adding fish?

You can have die off from the new live rock which will cause a parameter spike ie: ammonia. Not recommended if you already have livestock in the tank

Tarpon, many on here will argue and hate me for this but the answer is no. I added ready mixed water straight from my lfs, cured live rock straight from their tanks, and a bag of live sand. This was a biocube 14.. However thus being said.. It was VERY time consuming.. I did a full water parameter test everyday.. Small water changes every other day..
True perc went in on first day.. Corals went in on the 3rd day.. Shrimps and anemone on the 5th day..
BUT my tank still had a cycle, every tank will no matter what. Until it reaches the balance in bioload.. I was just keeping the toxin levels low with pwc' (partial water changes). So that's my experience, others will say different. I'm not saying my tank didn't cycle. I'm saying I worked through my cycle..

Carey or anyone else, quick question..
I'm gonna build a 10 gal refugium for my 14 gal biocube. ;) how do I add more live rock without a spike??

Biocube14 said:
Tarpon, many on here will argue and hate me for this but the answer is no. I added ready mixed water straight from my lfs, cured live rock straight from their tanks, and a bag of live sand. This was a biocube 14.. However thus being said.. It was VERY time consuming.. I did a full water parameter test everyday.. Small water changes every other day..
True perc went in on first day.. Corals went in on the 3rd day.. Shrimps and anemone on the 5th day..
BUT my tank still had a cycle, every tank will no matter what. Until it reaches the balance in bioload.. I was just keeping the toxin levels low with pwc' (partial water changes). So that's my experience, others will say different. I'm not saying my tank didn't cycle. I'm saying I worked through my cycle..

Carey or anyone else, quick question..
I'm gonna build a 10 gal refugium for my 14 gal biocube. ;) how do I add more live rock without a spike??

If you buy cured lr, then there will be no spike.

Yeah I know about the die off.
My understanding was just that the live rock acts as the filter so if I buy it from a tank it will be "seeded"
If I cleaned it first in saltwater and then added it could I add a fish or two in a few days after a pwc. Then just do pws more often for a while?

Yes, you can definitely do that. If you buy it from an established tank, then it will be cured and you could add fish a day or two after, but you'd need to check your parameters the first few days just in case there's a spike.

Does the "established tank" need to have fish in it? Bc most of them with live rock for sale just have the rock

Back
Top Bottom