Equipment suggestions for a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mai

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am going to buy a 225 gal all glass tank that has two overflow drilled into the bottom of the tank. I need help with suggestions for the equipment. Right now I am looking for a fowlr tank. Maybe in the future I will go to a reef tank. Can anyone give me some suggestions for the equipment that I can start with?

Thanks

Well with the tank predrilled you will need a sump and a return pump or two. For that size tank you could do two return pumps with 1 going to each return.

What size pump will really depend on how much flow you want and how many feet the sump will be below the tank. For submersible pumps look at the Mag drive product line. Maybe a pair of mag 12.5's

For the sump it does not have to be anything extravagant. For a tank that size I would suggest maybe a 40-50gal capacity sump. Now you wont end up running the sump at full capacicity as you will want the water level low enough to provide for if water flows back down the overflow and return lines when power cuts off.

For the two return lines you could get one way flap valves that will help prevent backflow of water from the returns.

A skimmer is something that would be of benifit to you.(in the sump)

A pair of 300W heaters would be good (place them in the sump)

Lighting. if your doing FOWLR then you wont need HIGH output lights but you will probably be happer with lighting that is brighter than your standard florecent tubes.

Maybe go with 6 110W VHO bulbs or maybe a half dozen 96W PC bulbs.

How long is the tank? A pair of MH bulbs with VHO actinic would look really sweet and if you put 250W MH bulbs you would be set for most corals if/when you go that route.

Other things you would need as far as equipoment would be test kits, hydromoter, and themoter.

wow, big tank...

you may also want a few small powerheads to help move the water around and a sign that says, "we don't pee in your toilet, so keep yer stinking fingers off the glass!" :D

Can you give me a little more info on the sump? Is it something that is best to buy from the lfs or make it myself?
As for the power heads that is what I had in mind. We will also have the sign since we have kids :lol:

Tank is 30lx24wx30h

Lighting. if your doing FOWLR then you wont need HIGH output lights but you will probably be happer with lighting that is brighter than your standard florecent tubes.

How long is the tank? A pair of MH bulbs with VHO actinic would look really sweet and if you put 250W MH bulbs you would be set for most corals if/when you go that route.

Ok this is Greek to me right now. Let me do some more reading on lighting.

A sump can be as confusing or as simple design as you want. It could be as simple as a 40gal rubbermaid tub or as complex as a mutichamber acryic box with bulkheads for extneral pumps etc.

Both are sumps and both surve the basic purpose.

Buying a sump from the LFS is probably going to end up costing you 10X more than its worth.

I went to the LFS today and they wanted to sell me a wet/dry and a Uv sterilizer to start with then a skimmer later on. Sounds like more than I need right now.

That does not supprise me at all. For more info on if you need a UV you can check our articles area and make up your own mind on them.

Here's my sump : http://www.marks-aquaticlife.com/setup4.html It's a used wet/dry I snagged off of ebay. It's made of acrylic and has about a 30gal capacity... You'll need something larger.

You'll notice a protein skimmer... is a RedSea Berlin Classic. You'll need a larger one because I have a 90 gallon tank.

As for the lighting, if you want to do a reef tank down the line, you'll need better lighting eventually. For FOWLR, PC lighting will be fine.

For powerheads.. I would reccomened MaxiJets at 295GPH - Shooting for 10 times Volume water movement... that's 2,250 GPH or 9-10 powerheads.... Plus the movement from your return pump... So, maybe 8? The choice is yours... the better the circulation is always better.

As for main return pumps... I use a Quiet One Pump... I would reccomend against submersible because of teh increase in heat in the summer... Unless you plan on getting a chiller. I'm not too keen on Mag pumps for main pumps... I use a Mag for my skimmer.

As for additional equipment... I broke down and got a UV setrilizer when my tangs and angel came down with "glass eye". It cleared it right up and now I swear by it...

I use Pro Heat Titanium Digital Heaters because of the ease of control and I just think they work better... I don't even need my Ebo jager heater because of teh pro heat...

Depending on the fish and other inhabitants you'll need little incidentals, but basically... what we all have discussed it what you'll need.

hope this helps

Yep thats a 225.

Since the tank is 6' long if you lighjt it with MH you will probably want to go with three bulbs spaced every two feet apart.

fishfreek said:
Well with the tank predrilled you will need a sump and a return pump or two. For that size tank you could do two return pumps with 1 going to each return.

What size pump will really depend on how much flow you want and how many feet the sump will be below the tank. For submersible pumps look at the Mag drive product line. Maybe a pair of mag 12.5's

For the sump it does not have to be anything extravagant. For a tank that size I would suggest maybe a 40-50gal capacity sump. Now you wont end up running the sump at full capacicity as you will want the water level low enough to provide for if water flows back down the overflow and return lines when power cuts off.

For the two return lines you could get one way flap valves that will help prevent backflow of water from the returns.

A skimmer is something that would be of benifit to you.(in the sump)

A pair of 300W heaters would be good (place them in the sump)

Other things you would need as far as equipoment would be test kits, hydromoter, and themoter.

Can you direct to a diagram for the plumbing layout? It will be clearer if I can see what we are talking about>

for a tank that big i wouldnt waste the money and time on maxi-jet power heads no way !! take your time and read but imo you be alot better off doing a closed loop for sure !! with one or two nicer pumps !! imo

Well the plumbing would be relitivly stright forward. If you want to see photos you can look in the photo gallery under Member Saltwater tank setups as there are some members with photos of their plumbing.

You have two drain lines on the back corners. You would connected these drain lines, ideally with true union's so you can disconnect them at a later date. Then use PVC plumbing or flexiable tubing to drop the drain lines down into yoru sump. You would then have your submersible pumps in the sump and use flex tubing or PVC plumbing to go from the pumps to a 1 way flapper valve (prevent backsyphon) and then from the flapper valve up to your return connections.

the submersible pumps where suggested simply to not add to the complexity of the setup by needing to drill you sump and install additional bulkheads. Plus Mag drive pumps have an excellent history and reputation as having quality pumps.

i understand that but at the same time the person that is asking doesnt know that and why i wrote earlier "to take his/her time and read" imo thats the way to go and it doesnt take a rocket scientist to put in a bulkhead ya know ?!?! also mag drives are good pumps no doubt but they do heat up! better to run inline than in the water bottom line !! most submerge due to its the easiest but that doesnt mean its the best way and imo with a 220 tank ya only want to do it once and do it right the first time!! read read read and look what other have done and chose what ya like/can do

scuba_steve said:
for a tank that big i wouldnt waste the money and time on maxi-jet power heads no way !! take your time and read but imo you be alot better off doing a closed loop for sure !! with one or two nicer pumps !! imo

I haven't gotten to closed loops yet. I am still reading. What are they?

Ok I have been reading up and trying to figure out what I want and need so here goes any suggestions will be appreciated

All-Glass tank 220 gal predrilled w/2 drains and 2 returns
2 Pro heat titanium heaters
AquaC ev240 w/dolphin pump I am leaning to an external pump since I don't want any problems with oil spills
CustomSealife UV sterilizer
2 Quiet one 5000 pumps (1 for each return)
200lbs sand
220 lbs live rock
salt
CustonSealife Power compacts w/moonlight or a MH fixture (still undecided)

Plumbing is still being worked out for parts since I might go with a closed loop

Sump well that is still in the works since I need more info on building one

What do you think? Any comments would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom