Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #31
Ayi
Aquarium Advice Freak

What r/o filter do you recommend? Is there a type of fine substrate that will raise the ph?

Old 05-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayi View Post
The only reason I wanted crushed coral was to raise the ph. I was planning on filling the tank with store bought water and do pwc with tap water. And I don't have any equipment as I am still trying to convince my mom of it. She says it's because of the water bill as it has gone up in recent months (not by much though).
Crushed coral won't raise pH in a saltwater aquarium. Because that is the environment that the coral was made, it won't break down into its alkaline and calcium components. Freshwater has much lower levels of both and can absorb alkaline and calcium from corals.
The salt you add to the water has all the components you need to maintain an appropriate level for alk, calc and pH. If you get to be heavily stocked with corals, then you may need to dose alk and calc.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #33
Ayi
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think I will slowly start buying stuff, maybe a few things every two weeks or so. I was looking for RO filters and they are EXPENSIVE!Are there any cheap ones on the market?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Check Craigslist. I picked up a 6 stage RODI unit for $50 bucks with replacement filters included.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Regular

Pygmy Angels would not live in a 10 gallon tank. They need at least 50 gallons to be happy. Its not just about the size but how much the fish likes to swim. In your size tank I would say 2 fish max. I recommend a fire fish and maybe a yellowhead jawfish or small clown goby. Both can be kept it that size tank.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think you can also just buy distilled water from walmart. 98 cents a gallon. It's not as good as RO water, but better than tap, from what I hear. Feel free to correct me on this as I am no water expert. Just a guy with a FOWLR tank.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK, a bit of a correction. Distilled water should be at 0 TDS, and is not only as effective as RO/DI, it should be better. RO/DI units needs to have filters changed as TDS start to climb. A low temp distiller should have no maintenance issues requiring changing. Water evaps, and then condenses in a cooler clean collector. Theoretically. Of course, at the large scale production side, both methods are probably not kept clean enough and run some level of TDS.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
OK, a bit of a correction. Distilled water should be at 0 TDS, and is not only as effective as RO/DI, it should be better. RO/DI units needs to have filters changed as TDS start to climb. A low temp distiller should have no maintenance issues requiring changing. Water evaps, and then condenses in a cooler clean collector. Theoretically. Of course, at the large scale production side, both methods are probably not kept clean enough and run some level of TDS.
So using distilled water is good for the sw?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:20 AM   #39
Ayi
Aquarium Advice Freak

So could I just use fridge water instead of tap or distilled? I would just warm it up wit an extra heater, right?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:09 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Refrigerator water is not usually RO or DI. It is usually water run through a carbon filter to make it taste good. TDS difference is minimal.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com