Fish with ich...treated whole tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaija82

Aquarium Advice Newbie
In a house with 3 Newfoundlands, 3 cats, and fish.
Ok, I've done some research after the fact...took the LFS word on what to do, now I'm wondering if there's anyway to save/rebuild? We have a 55 gal tank (glass), 40 gal of water in it, 55 lbs. of live rock. I used CopperSafe and malachite green to treat one of our fish with ich and was told that both were safe for fish only AND live rock tanks. The tank has been set up for 1 month, we got the damsels (6) a week ago and caught the ich last night on our blue. We also did a 10% water change. Is there any way to rebuild the live rock after waiting the month to get rid of the copper? Using Cuprisorb and/or polyfilters? Tested the Cu+, and it was 0.5ppm, obviously toxic to the invertebrates. We are setting up a QT tank for any future outbreaks of ich now. Any info will be much appreciated.

Coper takes a long time to get rid of, most people wont buy a tank that has had coper in it. Thats just from what I've read

yes, i do know that people don't want to buy tanks that have been treated with copper. I'm not selling my tank and your response really didn't address any of my questions. I am aware that copper takes a long time to get rid of, hence, me asking about the said products. Anyone else out there to help?

Hindsight is always 20/20...using a copper-based Rx in your tank, even once, will greatly decrease option for future additions. If you plan on having a FOWLR tank, then it is not as serious of an issue. However, if you had plans for keeping a reef or even mobile invets (like shrimp) then you may be out of luck. Copper tends to leach into the tank seals and will remain present in low amounts. For now...your best course of action is to use some chemical media like Polyfilter pads or PURA filtration pads. Make sure it has the ability to remove metals from the water. Change it every few days for a couple of weeks and do a series of 10-15% wather changes every couple of days using well aged SW made with RO/DI water. Lastly, do some research on setting up and maintaining a QT tank. It will help save you from experiencing these problems in the future.

Both of those products will help. The poly filter will change color (blue) indicatiing the presence and removal of copper.
You should remove all of the LR. It will leach copper for a looong time.
In the future you should QT all new livestock for 30 days before adding them to the tank. Ich should be treated with Hypsalinity in the QT tank should you get it.

I would set up a QT tank now and treat any remaining fish with hypo for a 6 - 8 week regimen. That should give you time to tear down the tank, rebuild it by doing a 100% water change and treating for copper, and cycle it again. Only when you are convinced that the copper has been removed should you add more base/live rock. That includes the substrate too.

welcometoaa.gif

speed,
I apologize for coming across wrong. I've been up all night watching these fish...4 have made it, a domino and a blue damsel have suffered a worse fate. This tank was going to be a FOWLR tank from the beginning, with a starfish or two, however that plan has been changed. Will use the filters and Cuprisorb to remove as much as possible and go from there...the rebuilding is not an option right now. thanks to all.

The thing about treating with copper in a tank that has any rocks or substrate in it is that the rock/substrate will suck up the copper and make it difficult to keep a consistent level in suspension in your tank water. Aside from the obvious reasons you've already mentioned, that's the other reason it's recommended to use a bare QT for copper treatment - it's easier to keep the copper levels stable.

Try getting all of the fish out of a 125 gallon tank with 185 pounds of LR in it so you can do a hypo treatment for Ich. QT for everything new becomes SOP after that.

Back
Top Bottom