Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Location: In a house with 3 Newfoundlands, 3 cats, and fish...oh and my husband!
Fish with ich...treated whole tank

Ok, I've done some research after the fact...took the LFS word on what to do, now I'm wondering if there's anyway to save/rebuild? We have a 55 gal tank (glass), 40 gal of water in it, 55 lbs. of live rock. I used CopperSafe and malachite green to treat one of our fish with ich and was told that both were safe for fish only AND live rock tanks. The tank has been set up for 1 month, we got the damsels (6) a week ago and caught the ich last night on our blue. We also did a 10% water change. Is there any way to rebuild the live rock after waiting the month to get rid of the copper? Using Cuprisorb and/or polyfilters? Tested the Cu+, and it was 0.5ppm, obviously toxic to the invertebrates. We are setting up a QT tank for any future outbreaks of ich now. Any info will be much appreciated.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Coper takes a long time to get rid of, most people wont buy a tank that has had coper in it. Thats just from what I've read

Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Location: In a house with 3 Newfoundlands, 3 cats, and fish...oh and my husband!
yes, i do know that people don't want to buy tanks that have been treated with copper. I'm not selling my tank and your response really didn't address any of my questions. I am aware that copper takes a long time to get rid of, hence, me asking about the said products. Anyone else out there to help?
Old 08-24-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hindsight is always 20/20...using a copper-based Rx in your tank, even once, will greatly decrease option for future additions. If you plan on having a FOWLR tank, then it is not as serious of an issue. However, if you had plans for keeping a reef or even mobile invets (like shrimp) then you may be out of luck. Copper tends to leach into the tank seals and will remain present in low amounts. For now...your best course of action is to use some chemical media like Polyfilter pads or PURA filtration pads. Make sure it has the ability to remove metals from the water. Change it every few days for a couple of weeks and do a series of 10-15% wather changes every couple of days using well aged SW made with RO/DI water. Lastly, do some research on setting up and maintaining a QT tank. It will help save you from experiencing these problems in the future.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Both of those products will help. The poly filter will change color (blue) indicatiing the presence and removal of copper.
You should remove all of the LR. It will leach copper for a looong time.
In the future you should QT all new livestock for 30 days before adding them to the tank. Ich should be treated with Hypsalinity in the QT tank should you get it.

I would set up a QT tank now and treat any remaining fish with hypo for a 6 - 8 week regimen. That should give you time to tear down the tank, rebuild it by doing a 100% water change and treating for copper, and cycle it again. Only when you are convinced that the copper has been removed should you add more base/live rock. That includes the substrate too.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

No need to be defensive

Put it this way are you looking to house Inverts or Corals?

If you are just looking for something to remove it then the things you listed would be good. Just not sure how long you will still be seeing it on the test.

Heres what search says:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ess-47514.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...pper-8258.html
http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/ad...-elements.html
http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/for...tml#post764440
http://www.reefcentral.org/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

speed,
I apologize for coming across wrong. I've been up all night watching these fish...4 have made it, a domino and a blue damsel have suffered a worse fate. This tank was going to be a FOWLR tank from the beginning, with a starfish or two, however that plan has been changed. Will use the filters and Cuprisorb to remove as much as possible and go from there...the rebuilding is not an option right now. thanks to all.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:52 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The thing about treating with copper in a tank that has any rocks or substrate in it is that the rock/substrate will suck up the copper and make it difficult to keep a consistent level in suspension in your tank water. Aside from the obvious reasons you've already mentioned, that's the other reason it's recommended to use a bare QT for copper treatment - it's easier to keep the copper levels stable.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

LOL.....Thas a lil OCD dont you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
In the future you should QT all new livestock for 30 days before adding them to the tank. Ich
Old 08-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiGeR1986 View Post
LOL.....Thas a lil OCD dont you think
Not at all. That is the proper proceedure if you don't want to worry about bringing parasites into the main tank.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, ich, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com