Fishless cycle - ammonia - live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OscarFan76

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. I have a 55 gallon with a small live rock about 10 lbs and about 40 lbs of base rock in my tank. I'm seeing trace amounts of ammonia (0.25-0.5) from the die off of the live rock. It has been in the tank a week and a half. There are zero nitrites.

Should I dose with pure ammonia like I did my fresh tanks or will it kill off my live rock?

Thanks.

Go ahead and dose with pure ammonia (about 2.5ml per 10g water i think). You need to add an ammonia source to your cycle; the die-off from your base rock is generally not enough.

Since you did this with a tank already, this might be preaching to the choir. Make sure you don't over dose the tank. I did it to mine...total disaster and it has taken over a month to cycle...still going.

I assume I should shoot for 4 ppm. I will start with 2 ppm and up it when someone says it is ok to do 4.

Thanks again.

I went with 4ppm and no problems. Live sand, 90% Base rock, 10% live rock; tank was cycled in 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom