Found a deal! How can i store my LR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEverii

Aquarium Advice Freak
Holy cow. I was about to order some LR online when i was reading through these forums and saw someone suggest to check craigslist for a good deal of someone breaking down their tank. Now, ive been waiting for something like that for about 2 weeks now and never found anything. Lucky that i looked today! Found a guy that just posted that he's selling the LR out of his astablished 180gal tank. 250lbs of it for $3 a lb! So because of this deal, im going to buy probably 100lbs for my VERY soon to be FOWLR aquarium. (Will be conveting to a reef once i have the experience). So im going to make my salt tomorrow and put all my equipment in place and get it going. Where can i store the live rock while i wait for my water to be cycled and ready for it? If not, How long will it take for the live rock that is in MY water to be set to good and ready for a CUC?

Super excited that this thing is finally coming together!

Heh, just got to thinking. And i guess the place that i would be storing my LR in, would be the same exact thing as the new salt water that im going to be making for my tank. So i guess the question would be how long do i wait after throwing it all in (including my live sand) before adding my CuC? When all my readings are accurate?

If the tank has been set up until now and you keep the LR wet during transport, you can put it in your tank and it will speed up the cycle tremendously. Once you add it in, stick a large raw cocktail shrimp in for every 30 gallons and wait until you have no ammonia or nitrites and some nitrates. Then you should be safe to add in your CUC

Lol yep, just spent the past hour reading down some of the posts in the forums. Found a lot of threads with the same idea question that i had. thanks a ton! In case anyone cares, im going to document and photo every step of the way starting tomorrow. wewt!

If the tank has been set up until now and you keep the LR wet during transport, you can put it in your tank and it will speed up the cycle tremendously. Once you add it in, stick a large raw cocktail shrimp in for every 30 gallons and wait until you have no ammonia or nitrites and some nitrates. Then you should be safe to add in your CUC

2nd this advice... keep that "live" live rock damp (with SALT water... not fresh!) during transport and you'll be pleasantly surprised how fast your cycle will occur.

I would wait a day or 2 to see if there is much die off before adding a shrimp to the tank. If the rock is as fresh as mine was I didn't have to add anything for my tank to cycle and had very little die off.

Good luck hope your tank cycles quick. Why not make a build thread in the SW Reef Aquaria Forum? I know I'd love to follow, especially if there's pictures. ;)

Good luck hope your tank cycles quick. Why not make a build thread in the SW Reef Aquaria Forum? I know I'd love to follow, especially if there's pictures. ;)

Lol alright, will do =P. One more thing about the Live rock that im picking up today, how long will cured liverock survive in like a 33gal rubbermaid bin with a powerhead or two? Fact is that my RO/DI water system wont be in until thursday and i fear for using tap water to make my salt water.

Back
Top Bottom