FOWLR cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultimatedc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Petco sells 5.5 gallons of saltwater that apparently has the perfect ph, salinity, ETC, whatever. I'm looking at getting a 15g aquarium. If I fill it with this water and add some cultured live rock, would I get a minicycle at best, or do I still have to wait for a cycle?

Well how cultured is the rock?? You will never know, I'm guess you mean it's been in another tank before, has it ever been in a chemically medicated tank?

you need your filter or your sump to mature, I recon you would get a little cycle, set it all up add a little piece of shrimp as a ammonia source and check your water the next week and do weekly water changes. When the ammonia is 0, trites are 0 and the nitrates are 20/30 or under your ready

just curious, how much does that water cost?

I believe you would still get a minicycle that might last a couple days

When I set up my 36g, I used all premade SW and 36lbs of LR and had to cycle for 2 weeks. Maybe less, I did add a shrimp in there which prob made the cycle a bit longer

Well, at petco, it's 11.99 for 5.5 gallons. I work there, so I get it for a little under 9.75. I figure it'll be cheaper replacing 5 gallons weekly/biweekly with this water than losing fish due to using tapwater :/

And yes, cultured, I'll be buying the rock straight out of the tank from petco. My plan is to go there tomorrow and get the following...

Marineland Biowheel filter, 20 gallon
Powerhead rated at 150 gph
Sand
Few live rocks
Aquarium

Just gonna set it up!! :)

Yeah, I thought I remember it being super expensive, but wanted to make sure. If you can find a local fish store, SW will be about $1/gallon, at least that is what I'm paying.

A 15g is a pretty small tank and I think the filter is enough at adding flow to your water, again, I'm not very sure so an expert would have to chime in. I have two HOB filters and its enough water flow for me

For LR, the general rule is 1lb per gallon.

A heater is also needed, a good temperature range is 76-80.

A liquid test kit is very useful but since you work at petco, you can just test your water there yourself =P.

You should rinse your sand first before adding it.

Back
Top Bottom