freshwater to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unskilled

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have purchased a 55gal tank i got it used from a LFS it was a salt water tank
i was gona make it a fresh water tank but am now thinking of going saltwater instead it has about 2 more weeks and it should be fully cycled

it has 2 AQ70s a stealth heater and it came with a protien skimmer(i have no idea what its for) black gravel for substrate

if i deside to make it saltwater what would i need to do

Black gravel? Im not really sure what you mean but if we are talking about fw substrate it will have to go. Better to know know rather later.

ok some thing have changed i am going to use my curently stocked 33gal freshwater tank as a salt water tank

with out any fish or liverock could i remove all items and gravel from tank add saltwater subtrate (sand) and salt and be ok or is the bacteria in a FW tank different from a salt water tank
will i have to wait another few months to cycle it is what i am asking

it has an empire 400 filter (the one with the bio wheels) would this filter even work for salt water?

and i plan on stocking mostly inverts shrimp and hermit crabs snails and a few clown fish would this work in a 33 gal?

or is the bacteria in a FW tank different from a salt water tank
will i have to wait another few months to cycle it is what i am asking

Yup... you'll have to wait. The bacteria are different.

it has an empire 400 filter (the one with the bio wheels) would this filter even work for salt water?

Yup... it'll work fine. You'll find some that will say the biowheels will generate excess nitrates, but I haven't had that experience. Just rinse the wheels and filters out in salt water every week and you shouldn't have any issues. Improperly maintained, they will turn into nitrate factories just as any other unmaintained piece of equipment.

Yes you have to start out with new water and mix with salt. Do not use the same water you were using in the fresh water tank.

Back
Top Bottom