Freshy girl wants a FOWLR Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TraceyB4602

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone! I'm not new to fish keeping, or this site but I'm sure I haven't met a lot of you yet. I've always been in the FW forums. I have been reading up and researching for a few weeks now and was wondering if everyone here can help.

I have been keeping FW tanks for years and now me and my fiancee would like to venture into the world of SW. It won't be tommorow or next week, but in the near future so I figured now would be the time to get some good advice in from you guys. I have learned about live rock and what it does for the biological filtration, curing and acclimation. I have also read up on lighting, live vs. regular sand substrate and gravity sumps, in sump protein skimmers and keeping a mangrove.

We will be using a 45gallon tall, which I heard is hard to light but is it impossible? We wants a tall tank so that some if the live rock can be out of the water... (I realize this might not work seeing the smell, so we would opt for regular rock if we need to). We wanted to have the rock out of the water so some of the invertabrates could climb out and back in. I have heard that they would venture out and also that they wouldn't. Does anyone know of this? I also have a list I have compiled of things we would need. If you guys could help me with this too it would be greatly appreciated.

45 gallon Tall (already own)
DIY sump pump with protein skimmer
10-20k and 50/50 fluoresent bulbs (coralife)
Lighting timer
Heater
Thermometer
Hydrometer
Air pump ( if needed)
A combination of reef rock and dead base (60# based on 1.5lb per gallon rule)
Live sand substrate
Sea Salt (Instant Ocean or Kent, any reccomendations?)
and obviously a test kit.

We don't know what fish yet we haven't researched. He does like the spiney box fish, don't know the requirerments or size or anything like that we just saw it at a LFS. And I would like a clown fish and an anenome. Also some invertabrates. Am I on the right track? I know I need to research more, there is a lot to this. Is it really as hard as it seems?

Thank you in advance I really appreciate it.
Tracey :)

Things to get when starting a FOWLR or mix/reef is at least IMO:

1- TANK: make sure you get a tank that you really like and can upgrade stuff with out having to buy a new one, Example: you want a FOWLR NOW but might want to put in some corals in.

2- Ro/DI: unit never ever use tap water.
It's all about the water :)

3- SKIMMER: so that way you know what to build your sump/refugium around.

4- LIGHT: if it's a FOWLR it doesn't matter, but if you trowing in a anemone then yes you need strong lighting, a light fixture of at least 4 bulbs t5ho should be the least .
There's more but that's about the start.

Rock out of the tank will be too close to the light. Might wanna give up on that notion. There's a very basic, but old book called the "conscientious marine aquarist" byu Robert Fenner. Except for the outdated cyclcing with fish refences in it, its a good book to read whilst you're planning for the future.

You're gonna need strong lighting for a nem.

Make sure you research the fish you plan on getting A LOT. Also if you plan to get an anemone and a clown fish make sure you get an anemone that is inhabitable by clowns.

I think you'll really enjoy it Tracey.

I did things different and started off doing salt water first but I don't regret it one bit. Start off simple, and slowly work your way up of course, I only have a 40g breeder FOWLR with just a few hardy fish but I enjoy it a lot and I've learned a lot since I've started.

I've seen some people try to go full out all in one week and the results never end up great. You probably already know this though lol. Make sure to research any fish you think you may want before adding it! When I started I added a cool looking damsel thinking it was no big deal. Luckily I did research right after before it did any damage but not everyone gets that chance lol. I always bring my phone with my to the LFS and look up the fish that way I can look for what I need right then and there if I'm really interested.

You should get a pair of clowns. :) there a lot of fun to watch and they do some really odd stuff.

dlwn88 said:
I think you'll really enjoy it Tracey.

I did things different and started off doing salt water first but I don't regret it one bit. Start off simple, and slowly work your way up of course, I only have a 40g breeder FOWLR with just a few hardy fish but I enjoy it a lot and I've learned a lot since I've started.

I've seen some people try to go full out all in one week and the results never end up great. You probably already know this though lol. Make sure to research any fish you think you may want before adding it! When I started I added a cool looking damsel thinking it was no big deal. Luckily I did research right after before it did any damage but not everyone gets that chance lol. I always bring my phone with my to the LFS and look up the fish that way I can look for what I need right then and there if I'm really interested.

Yes I do know to start slow. I found a LFS with an owner who now his stuff I was really impressed. He even told us that if we were looking for a fish that wasn't available but he had in his tank he would sell it to us. He also has a ton of live rock that he will sell us. I was very excited to find this store. I just want to know if I'm in the right direction with it.

I will definitely be looking up my fish before I purchase, I learned that with my FW tanks ha

Clownfish767 said:
You should get a pair of clowns. :) there a lot of fun to watch and they do some really odd stuff.
Yup two clowns would be awesome sounds like a great idea

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Ok so update.

We are getting a 100g tank with two HOB filters used. Any suggestions on HOB filters? I heard they can be a breeding ground for nitrate unless you used crushed up live rock intend of the pads. Is this true?

And is live sand really worth it?

with such size, i would say that u dont need the HOB...n yes it will be the nitrate factory if u forget to clean up the filter pads frequently...
u should continue with sump....its easy for u in future...hope u read about sump too....btw, just to add....get refractometer instead of hydrometer....its much more accurate then hydrometer....just my 2cents..

abdhalim said:
with such size, i would say that u dont need the HOB...n yes it will be the nitrate factory if u forget to clean up the filter pads frequently...
u should continue with sump....its easy for u in future...hope u read about sump too....btw, just to add....get refractometer instead of hydrometer....its much more accurate then hydrometer....just my 2cents..

Would the sump replace the HOB? We wanted to do a DIY sump with protein skimmer but don't have the money at the moment. Also with the sump would any other filtration be required? We will be putting air currents throughout the tank so the LR doesn't get dead spots but without the HOB would this still be enough flow?

And also, could I use real ocean sand in the tank? I live close and if I could do that it would save us money.

i've seen so many tank here in my country with sump, there is no other filtration system such canister needed....they just add some filter socks at the inflow.....
i would not recommend u take some of the sand from your ocean as u dunno how much clean is the sand...
wavemaker should be nice if u plan to minimize the deadspot....
u can stil use the HOB if u dont want to feel like wasting your money but with 100g tank, sump will be ideal....JMO

So we bought everything today. Live sand aragonite, bacteria that was free, another filter (aquaclear) he bought some bubbles we already had the heaters and a whisper filter that cycles 300gph. Our LFS pro told use not to worry about rock until before we buy fish so we held off on that to save some money.

Only if there is die off. Did you get your 100 gallon yet?

Tank set up.

35lb base rock. Some fake plants and two fake jelly fish to make it look interesting while cycling.

Attachments

• image-917722170.jpg
    image-917722170.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 327
Back
Top Bottom