Freshy girl wants a FOWLR Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
are u planning to have Live Rock...??? if so, its better for u to add it while cycling process....but if u can get its cured from your LFS to your house, then its fine until before u want to add fish...

its nice to have fake thing in tank, but i would remove it..JMO

owh...i notice u used air pump in your tank..??is that true..??i would also remove it...JMO

abdhalim said:
are u planning to have Live Rock...??? if so, its better for u to add it while cycling process....but if u can get its cured from your LFS to your house, then its fine until before u want to add fish...

its nice to have fake thing in tank, but i would remove it..JMO

owh...i notice u used air pump in your tank..??is that true..??i would also remove it...JMO

We have about 50# of rock in there now, half is live half is not. We are also using media from a brackish water tank.

Cycling fishless with fish food the parameters are already

Ph- 8.2
Nh3-1.0
No2- 5.0
No3- .50

Why should we remove the air pumps just curious?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Attachments

• image-3586308361.jpg
    image-3586308361.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 194
u can use wavemaker and direct it at the surface to have oxygen in there....someone already explain why u might want to remove it...its something like the bubbles will splash and u will see salt on top of your tank...sorry my language is bad...afraid there will be miscommunicate....better ask someone expert or maybe u can try search somewhere here....

Power heads would be better for circulation; you can adjust the direction of the flow too. Air stones and air pumps will generate "salt creep"; tiny splashes of salt will start accumulating on everything. And IMO, I would have all the rock in for the cycling process. Buying LR from the LFS is expensive. You were smart to start with some LR and dry rock.

He does want to move to power-heads later on but the money is tight now from buying everything for this tank. We already had the air pumps and wanted more flow in the tank for now. We found a cheap place for live rock, 5-8$ a pound for all different kinds. Pretty cheap to me.

You can get it for much cheaper online. I just got mine yesterday and I couldn't be happier! $130 for 50 pounds and free shipping!

XxVooDooxX said:
You can get it for much cheaper online. I just got mine yesterday and I couldn't be happier! $130 for 50 pounds and free shipping!

That basiclly what we spent on base rock lol

Any updates on the tank? How's the cycling going?

Well the person we were living with turned psycho and gave us 2 days to get out so sadly it is all broken down in a storage unit. : (

We are back up with the tank bought 30 pounds of live rock to go with our 40 pounds dead rock. Just got a protein skimmer today and waiting for the cycle : )

Oh and we had a huge worm hitch a ride with the live rock, should we get rid of him? It looks like an earth worm.

Not sure about the worm. But nobody told me not to run a skimmer during a cycle because it prolongs it. So just wanted to pass the info along

The way it was explained to me was that the skimmer removes organic waste but you need that waste for the cycle to happen. It made sense to me but there are so much misinformation is this hobby. I just go by what makes sense to me. Good luck with your tank.

Yea don't know about the skimmer, but if you want a faster cycle, you should ask you're store for some sand from an aquarium that's already running and then put it into a panty hose or something thin like that and put it into you're tank. This will help the beneficial bacteria grow a bit faster in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom