Frozen Brine & Mysis Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boulder

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a pack each of the 'Omega One' whole frozen brine shrimp and the whole frozen mysis shrimp.

Is there a best way to feed these cubes? One reference book I am reading says to allow the cube to slightly thaw but not thaw out before offering to the fish and the other says to thaw it in a fine mesh, drain off the liquid and rinse under running water.

Also, is one of these type shrimp better for the fish than the other?

Thanks for any advice!

IMO the mysis shrimp is be better. Most frozen foods have phosphates in the water their frozen in, so thaw and rinse is recommend. I rinse in a small net, drain then add some Zoe.

I'm sorta surprised the manufacturers of these frozen foods don't go through the process of using RO/DI water when making the cubes. It's not like they don't understand the aquarium business and that their consumer wants to avoid putting things such as phosphates in their tanks.

So best practice is to thaw, drain, rinse and then serve.

I thaw and rinse in RO/DI water, then feed.

I do the same thing. Be careful with brine shrimp and make sure it`s vitamin fortified. Plain brine has little nutritional value and is comparable to us sitting down to supper to a plate of twinkies.

Back
Top Bottom