Fuzzy dwarf lionfish feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rushopkins

Aquarium Advice Regular
I cant get my fuzzy dwarf to eat anything but live ghost shrimp, it ate krill once but never again, He's growing but im killing myself to get to the fish store twice a week, Any ideas?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would suggest invest in a 10g tank to make a feeder tank , my trigger is that way he used to eat everything , than he went strictly on a pellet diet now he is on the live feeders kick , if it don't wiggle he wont eat it ,
If you go to a bait shop you should be able to find live minnows fairly cheap,
most predators will want a live diet as that is what they are used to out in the wild , it's the instincts kicking in perfectly normal

I have a fuzzy dwarf and it will feed on live shrimp or any frozen food I put in the tank. It was weened onto frozen before going into the main tank.

As said above put it in a seperate tank so you can target feed it and it should soon start gobbling frozen up :)

Do you have a sump? I put a breeder basket in my sump and put the live shrimp in there. You can put 2 dozen and feed them small pellet food daily.

You need to make a feeding stick. I took an acrylic rod, drilled a hole in the end and put 50 pound single filament fishing line through it. Then I put a piece of krill, squid, etc on it. I move it around and make him chase it. When training, this works better when he knows there is a live shrimp in the tank and he is excited.

I have trained 3 small lions and 2 anglers this way. After a couple times you won't need to make him chase it, just put it in front of him and he will eat whatever is on it. Mine now eats krill, jumbo mysis, and squid out of the water without the stick. The angler is slow and lazy so he still needs the stick.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you have a sump? I put a breeder basket in my sump and put the live shrimp in there. You can put 2 dozen and feed them small pellet food daily.

You need to make a feeding stick. I took an acrylic rod, drilled a hole in the end and put 50 pound single filament fishing line through it. Then I put a piece of krill, squid, etc on it. I move it around and make him chase it. When training, this works better when he knows there is a live shrimp in the tank and he is excited.

I have trained 3 small lions and 2 anglers this way. After a couple times you won't need to make him chase it, just put it in front of him and he will eat whatever is on it. Mine now eats krill, jumbo mysis, and squid out of the water without the stick. The angler is slow and lazy so he still needs the stick.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you. Great advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would suggest invest in a 10g tank to make a feeder tank , my trigger is that way he used to eat everything , than he went strictly on a pellet diet now he is on the live feeders kick , if it don't wiggle he wont eat it ,
If you go to a bait shop you should be able to find live minnows fairly cheap,
most predators will want a live diet as that is what they are used to out in the wild , it's the instincts kicking in perfectly normal

Thank you!

I have a fuzzy dwarf and it will feed on live shrimp or any frozen food I put in the tank. It was weened onto frozen before going into the main tank.

As said above put it in a seperate tank so you can target feed it and it should soon start gobbling frozen up :)

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom