getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

venomfreak65

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
the guy at the fish store told me i could put fish in right away with my aquarium because if i didn't my live sand would die off and be useless? This is the first I've heard of this , how true is it I'm confused?

venomfreak65 said:
the guy at the fish store told me i could put fish in right away with my aquarium because if i didn't my live sand would die off and be useless? This is the first I've heard of this , how true is it I'm confused?

How long has ur tank been running?

That is a simple ploy to get you to buy fish... "live sand" does not have really any beneficial bacteria in it, 90% of your biological filtration is your liverock. You do not need to add fish, especially if you have not cycled your tank.

well i am not coin live rock, and i haven't set up my tank yet I'm getting 125g in a couple weeks. I am just trying to figure out all i can before i set up.

I take it you are not buying live rock..? And your reasoning behind not using liverock? If I were you I would go with a dsb (6 in deep sand bed) with around 160ish to 240lbs of live rock.

THATS ALOT OF ROCK!!!!! As long as you have around 1 pound per gallon MIN for sand and rock you should be fine. Why no rock? Its the main filtration........... I dont know why anyone wouldnt use it..............

Well for a pound of rock per gallon would be about $ 1000, I'm just out of money lol

Look on Craigslist, local reef clubs, buy dry base rock. You can find people selling it for $2 a lb

I have over 250lbs of rock in my 125g 6 foot tank and let me tell ya, it's ALOT of rock LOL.

I plan on taking out about 75lbs or so to move it to my new 90g setup leaving approx. 175 lbs which I think is a nice amount. I'd get at least 100lbs or so to start, between live rock and base rock if youre on a serious budget. You can add base rock as you go without a problem so you can drop $100 here and there til you get the amount you want and like.

Please dont listen to the guy in the store. Your live sand will be fine. You can drop in a few pellets each day and that will be fine. Follow the regular cycling and testing process.

Back
Top Bottom