Guides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,

Does anyone have any guides for keeping reef aquariums? For example, the addition of trace elements, use of canister vs mini-reef aquariums, or the water changes? I am not asking about those specifically, just giving them as examples.

I am quite interested though in people's thoughts on the use of trace elements. I have heard strong arguments for both sides.

I use them occasionally. About 1 or 2 times a month with water changes. I have corals and inverts aplenty so I don't want any problems with them "starving" for essential nutrition elements. I also use marine zoe in the frozen food along with garlic extreme.

Yeah I have heard about this garlic additive. I have heard it helps ward off parasites due to their not liking the garlic element. What do you think of that?

Also, what trace elements do you add? I add none, but I am thinking perhaps I should try it out under strict conditions. I have both corals and inverts as well so I am concerned about them.

What is "marine zoe"?

The use of trace elements is still up for debate. I am from the "add as little to the tank as possible" camp. I do not dose trace elements. IMO, the best way to keep them up in a reef is to do regular small water changes. Most of the LFS around here advocate 10% water changes weekly. I must admit, I am too lazy for that so I do about 15% every other week. The new SW will add any depleted trace elements back into the water. It would be interesting to see if dosing trace elements is actually benificial. Test for them before and after the addition and see how long they stay detectible in the water. Compare this to the same measures using only water changes as replenishment. Anyone out there feeling ambitious? I guess I would like to see some published research on the matter before I spend money on something else in this hobby. And not the published research by Kent or Seachem, of course the say you need it. I want evidence from a neutral third-party. Wow, sorry this got so long but it i an interesting topic. Lando

Agree with Lando. Water changes will recharge the trace elements.
If I can't test for it, I don't add it. My inverts do fine.

Marine Zoe is a vitamin, amino acid, and mineral in a spirulina base. I use the Kent Essential Elements occasionally when I think about it. I also have Red Sea Calcium+3(strontium, molybdenum, iodine) but don't need it till I get the clams and more corals in the tank. Does anyone think the additives have anything to do with what is in the tank? FO, vs FOWLR vs reef? Let me know because I don't add anything to the FO or the qt only the reef.

Only thing I add on a regular basis is pickling lime (aka kalkwasser). And I must admit I have been kind of slack in that aswell as of late.

Back
Top Bottom