Help me please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireboy6413

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello every one, I have a bit of a problem, about two months ago I bough this new tank, I bout the proper light and put sand in the tank. i have a skimmer as well as just a regular filter for now, I am waiting for extra cash to get the fluval 405, so any way, I bought live sand and put water in the tank, but never put salt in. Again everything was done a month or so ago, now I have this white film all over the tank, its kinda like a gooey substance, also did I kill the sand not having salt in their. Thank you

Where did you get your sand from?
If it came from a bag then it wasnt alive anyway.
As for the white film, I'm not sure. Someone else will be along shortly to answer that I'm sure.

Yes the sand came in a bag, where can I get live sand from, also this substance is a milky white jelly like. any ideas thanks

still not sure about the film, but the only true live sand would have to come directly from someone's established tank straight to yours.
Theres been lots of talk about "live sand" from a bag. doesnt make sense that anything could stay alive sitting in a bag on a shelf.
and sitting in FW would probably kill it anyway IMO. since theres no ammonia,nitrite,or nitrate. Theres no cycle going on to feed the sand.

So the water is just FW? No salt added? If that is true you killed whatever bacteria you had. The nitrifying bacteria is not the same for FW and SW. You should have mixed your water first and then added to the tank with the sand. I guess this is what you saying.

Back
Top Bottom