Help with final Filter/Skimmer decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawfishjunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok---
thanks to a lot of reading and a lot of help from you people I`m real close to starting up. I just have to settle on the units I want to buy.
As a beginner I would feel more comfortable with some kind of external filter to aid the Live-Rock. I have found a direction that I am comfortable with,and that fits my budget.

65 Gallon Tank-FOWLR-which way to go:

1)60 lbs Live-Rock,AquaC Remora Skimmer,emperor 400 Bio wheel filter
or
2)60 lbs. Live-Rock,Bak Pak Dual Pak

Noise is a big concern for me. My home is not big,but its an open echo
chamber.
Please comment on the system effectiveness and noise level, and suggest products in a similiar direction + price range that are better suited for my needs.
thanks again

I'd go with the LR and the Aqua C Remora. I dont think you'll need a filter if you have plenty of LR. I'd add a few more pounds of LR down the line to help out your natural filtration if you can.

Thanks for replies.

The thought of using an Aquafuge has entered my mix. I`d still use the Remora PS, but it has been suggested that the Aquafuge would provide additional filtration.

However---many experienced people have expressed that the Rock is really enough. So if I dont need an extra expense past the Rock and skimmer at this time, that would be great.

The amount of rock that you have now is enough to start off. Its suggested to have 1.5-2 lbs of LR per gallon. Just add fish slowly and keep an eye on your water perams.

thanks for help
Just wondering---
1) I have some Dead Rock left from the old days --a good 20 lbs or so. If I set up things right, will organims seek those pieces to colonize, thereby expanding my natural filtration?

2)Can I Simultaneously introduce different types of LR for my tank cycle? Are certain types supposed to be kept seperate from others? For instatnce, are Tonga and Fiji Rock ok together? Does one have a knack to be a bit tougher and diversified, bouncing back stronger from the cycle?

3)Can you reccomend a reliable online Live-Rock dealer. I am currently leaning toward Tonga to be shipped from Drs. Foster and Smith.

thanks for your patient input

1) Yes, with time it will become live again.

2) No the rock type doesnt matter.

3) I've heard nothing but good things from tampabaysaltwater.com.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom