Help with tank being cloudy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ddgcg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10g tank been running good. Hand on back filter, came as a predone set. Waters been good with my 2 clowns, 2 peppermint shrimp, 3 small snails and a small starfish. I added a small horseshoe crab to the tank(yes i know pushed tank to limit pretty sure.) but ive notice with the crab it turns up a lot of the live sand in the tank and seems my tank is a little cloudy since got it. Dint have this problem before but my kids feed the clowns kinda heavy and the shrimp dont come out and clean besides off the live rock so i wanted something more of a active cleaner. Shrimp are molten every 2 weeks which have read is a good sigh of being healthy, can notice the clowns have gotten bigger and starfish is active.

So i guess the real question is i think need a stronger filter vs maybe running a 2nd nano just to help clear up the extra sand the crab turns up. Whats pros and cons 2 vs stronger?

Thanks for any advise

First I’d take the horseshoe crab back. Tanks way to small and it will starve to death plus they get massive. Second, what are you running in the hob filter currently? Do you have a power head in the tank?

As a tank goes through its cycle, the sand becomes more 'sticky' as it is populated with beneficial bacteria. Sounds to me like a tank that wasn't properly cycled and a horseshoe crab is kicking everything up.

Return the crab as already mentioned. They get massive and consume everything in your sandbed...even my 125 isn't large enough for one of these crabs.

Is a newer tank (kids were rushing me so fell victim to a rushed process) and wasnt too familiar with horseshoe crabs. The guy at the shop was saying it would be fine in there. But i got talked into it because wanted a more active cleaner. The 2 peppermint shrimp just hide out under there live rock and dont venture to the other side of the tank. They do seem healthy though and have grown some in a short time.

Was thinking of a powerhead but wasnt sure if is overkill for a small tank. I do see the clowns swim where the water flows down a lot. Its a hob that came with the set up got to look and see if can find all the specs for it, thats why thinking of upgrading filter too just cuz i know buying as a set normally they cut corners. How big do the horseshoe crabs get? I know ive seen a shell on the beach before that was the size of my foot. Didnt think they would get that large in captivity.

You want at least 10x turnover of the water column in your tank to remove carbon monoxide from the water and bring in fresh oxygen.
It won't get large in captivity at all. It will consume all there is to eat in your sandbed and starve to death. You might find the shell cleaning some day. One of the many creatures sold in the hobby that should not be.

Back
Top Bottom