How long should it take for a used tank to re-cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MYTY1705

Aquarium Advice Freak
How long should it take for a used tank to re-cycle...for lack of a better word.

I got the tank on a saturday and had to wait a few days to put the tank back up. The next saturday it was up and running with the same rock and sand. I did not wash the rock, and only aggitated the sand in water it was in. The rock and sand were kept at room temps in the water.

I had the water tested 2 weeks later, only nitrates at 10 ppm.....would this be fine to start putting fish into?

Yes, you can't be sure until you test everything. I would have started with new sand though. You can stir up all kinds of detritus that will cause water quality issues. How long was the tank established before it was moved?

tank was established for 3 years or so. I had the all the tests run, ammonia 0 nitrites very low to none. only 10 ppm on the nitrates. The lfs said the same thing on stirring up the tank can make squirrley tests. Just wanted to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom