Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

how many fish can go in my tank

im currently setting up a 30g reef not sure about how much rock itll have yet but i was wondering how many clowns and how many cardinals i could get, the clowns im lookin at are just about a inch long and my lfs says fully grown. i was think maybe 3 of each but then i think to much, any help guys

Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh also i will be setting up a 10g reef what reef safe fish can go into this?

Old 03-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
is back to save the day!

There are no clowns that only grow to be 1 inch. So either they're wrong unintentionally or deliberately. The smallest size ANY type of clownfish gets is 3 inches, and those are Amphiprion Percula(True Percula Clowns). The next type that are among the smallest size are Amphiprion Ocellaris(Ocellaris Clownfish). Try using google images to look at both of these because they may look slightly similar but are not. Ocellaris are a more freindly type of clownfish while still being slightly bullyish, and are generally the nicest of their kind.

As for the reef safe fish for a tank as small as a 10G.. try looking at gobies.

Neon Gobies
Clown Gobies
Wheelers or Watchman Goby
etc..

There are a couple cardinals that are small enough to go in a 10G reef like an Orange-Lined Cardinal or a Longspine Cardinal. There are many choices for a nano reef tank, but you are limited in the fact that in a 10G you will probably only be able to have 2-3 fish at the max, so choose carefully.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
There are no clowns that only grow to be 1 inch. So either they're wrong unintentionally or deliberately. The smallest size ANY type of clownfish gets is 3 inches, and those are Amphiprion Percula(True Percula Clowns). The next type that are among the smallest size are Amphiprion Ocellaris(Ocellaris Clownfish). Try using google images to look at both of these because they may look slightly similar but are not. Ocellaris are a more freindly type of clownfish while still being slightly bullyish, and are generally the nicest of their kind.

As for the reef safe fish for a tank as small as a 10G.. try looking at gobies.

Neon Gobies
Clown Gobies
Wheelers or Watchman Goby
etc..

There are a couple cardinals that are small enough to go in a 10G reef like an Orange-Lined Cardinal or a Longspine Cardinal. There are many choices for a nano reef tank, but you are limited in the fact that in a 10G you will probably only be able to have 2-3 fish at the max, so choose carefully.
well maybe i mis understood them, but ill be going back tommorrow and ill ask to be sure, and yeah for the 10g i was think maybe just one fish cause im wanting like 3 maybe 4 pounds of LR per gallon with some LPS and SPS and ill have enough lighting i found a 2x39 t5 for a 20 inch tank thats over 7 watts per gallon so lol, but with the 30g if these are the smallest clowns how many of them and how many cardinals would fit? i was lookin at striped cardinals
Old 03-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

i mean spotted cardinal fish
Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

here look at this websire Saltwater Fish, Buy Saltwater Fish, Exotic Saltwater Fish, Large Saltwater Fish
Old 03-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have my doubts about that fixture fitting a 10g. 39w T5 HO bulbs go in 36" fixtures, in other words you have 16" of excess fixture hanging off of the tank and you will lose a lot of light. Don't go by WPG anymore as it is outdated and factors such as PAR, intensity, and penetration are more important. By 3 of each in the 30g, 3 cardinals would work perfectly, but 3 clowns would be a disaster due to agression/territorial issues. In the 10g, I would say no more than 2-3 carefully selected fish. Four pounds of live rock per gallon is probably WAY too much unless the rock is really dense, but it would still most likely be too much. I agree with Zero, look into gobies for that 10g.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thominil View Post
I have my doubts about that fixture fitting a 10g. 39w T5 HO bulbs go in 36" fixtures, in other words you have 16" of excess fixture hanging off of the tank and you will lose a lot of light. Don't go by WPG anymore as it is outdated and factors such as PAR, intensity, and penetration are more important. By 3 of each in the 30g, 3 cardinals would work perfectly, but 3 clowns would be a disaster due to agression/territorial issues. In the 10g, I would say no more than 2-3 carefully selected fish. Four pounds of live rock per gallon is probably WAY too much unless the rock is really dense, but it would still most likely be too much. I agree with Zero, look into gobies for that 10g.
it was on a ten gallon at my lfs being 20 inches... and well would two clowns be safe with the three cardinals or should i step down to just one clown to be sure?. and thats what i was thinking about. i really like the mandarin dragonet but 10g wouldnt there not be to many copepods?

would this stock list work its my ultimate for my 30

1 mandarin dragonet
1 True Percula Clownfish
2 spotted cardinals
1 sixline wrasse

would that be fine? or to much
Old 03-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian242pa View Post
and why am i looking at this website? lol
Old 03-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

or remove the wrasse and put in another clown.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com