I knew it was going too well. :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partypalooza5

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 75G FOWLR that I set up around July last year. I cycled the tank with uncured rock, levels tested good. Added a pair of clowns, a few weeks later a lawnmower blenny. Just a week or so ago I added a bi-color angel, 5 chromis, a diamond goby, and 10 hermits/snails. Then on thursday I added a kole tang and 10 more hermits/snails. Yesterday a chromis died (from being pecked to death by the other chromis) and now today another mysteriously disappeared (possibly the same fate?) I tested the levels yesterday and the ammonia was .25, the nitrate was around 15, PH was 8.3, and nitrite was 0. Salinity 1.022.

The water is really cloudy but the fish don't seem super stressed. Any ideas on what to do?

sounds like a bacteria bloom to me. I is probably that the good bacteria did not have enough time to a keep up with the higher bio-load of all those additions. Proof of that would be the fact that you have an ammonia rating. Your tank is probably going through a mini cycle. I would do a water change of about 50% or so and then keep monitoring the levels.
Another idea but i really doubt it is the salinity level. Is it possible that the lfs where you got the fish from has a significantly different specific gravity, and the fish couldn't handle the huge swing?

PPZ, your tank is going through another cycle due to all that fish and CUC that you added all at once. PWC and keep a close eye on ammonia and nitrite levels.

I'm starting to mix water for a PWC. Arg, I hate impulse buys! Everything was 30% off so I wanted to seize the opportunity (not such a smart move). Will fish start dieing off soon? Or is it not super dangerous yet.. (I know any ammonia is bad but is there a maximum that's somewhat safe?

I agree. You`ve added too much at too little time. The cloudiness is ammonia in the tank. You`ll need to do frequent PWC`s to get it under control. Dont add anything else to the tank for awhile.

Can you return some of the new additions? Might as well lessen the load.

Back
Top Bottom