I want Coralline algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soccerdude

Aquarium Advice Activist
I really want coralline to cover my rocks, but all I have is ugly brown algae. I have about 1.25 watts per gallon over my fowlr. Is this just simply a light problem, because my water quality is good.

If you have any purple on your tank at all it will spread. If you have NO coralline already you will have to introduce some to get it to spread.
The light has marginal impact, I have coralline growing under my rocks with no light really. :)

Don't mean to hijack but curious... How would one "introduce" this algae? And to the OP why do you want it? Is it good for your tank? Forgive me I'm very new to saltwater and have questions every minute.

You introduce it by taking a rock that is already covered I'm coraline and placing it in your tank. Most people including myself want it because it looks good. I helped speed the spreading along by scrapping some off the rocks that were covered every now and then.

The purple is nice at first, but let me tell you, it can take over a tank. I have it plating everywhere and my tank is so purple it's kinda annoying. It detracts from the coral and fish in my opinion.

It's one of those things...if you have it, you don't want it- but it you don't have it, you want it. On my 10 year old 55gal, I had so much coraline, it was like the plague. Constantly scraping it off of everything, everywhere. Now in my 2 year old 125- I'm happy just having it on 50% of my rocks.

Take some scrapings from another reefers tank and sprinkle them in yours. it will start to appear everywhere soon after. Light is certainly not an issue. You can grow coralline algae Under curly-Q energy saver bulbs.

Yeah I scrape a rock that's coated heavily once a week for a month since setting up the tank and it is slowly spreading.

ive sen mostly rocks covered in purple. but what about the velvet reds and greens ive seen. do those work and spread in the same way? also ive noticed some of my purple is very hard and smooth and some of it with a more algae texture. whats the difference?

They do spread in the same way, but those colors aren't as dominant as the purple. The softer texture stuff you are speaking of is not coralline algae.

Can light negatively affect the coralline? I have no purple in my 55 though I have got some scrapings off of the pet store two times.

Yes, very strong lighting can kill it. It grows much better in low light IME. Watch your alk too. Low alk, or alk swings seem to effect coralline.

I don't think the light plays a major role Scott. I have purple all over my sump, under rocks, everywhere, even where the light doesnt shine as bright. My opinion is it needs basic light and proper levels of calcium and other elements.

I've been messing around experimenting with my tanks over the last month as far as coralline growth. I have been adding purple up to my cube and my new 90g tank and both have shown a drastic increase of coralline growth since starting to use it. I have not put a drop in my 20g tank and there isn't a spot of coralline in the whole tank, except for on the rocks that originally had it.

Now, I'm not a big fan of adding chemcials to my tanks but I figured I'd give it a try. I used the regular dosage maybe 3 times a week for the last month and have noticed coralline growth within a day or so of each dosage. Maybe just me, maybe it actually can help,could be a coincidence but thought I'd throw it out there. LOL

Do you think my my 2x10000k 56W and 2 56w actinics are killing purple coralline in the 55?

It's rather strong lighting.

I'm positive I have neon green coralline, just not purple.

Carey, I am using liquid calcium from Kent. What is the difference between that and purple up? Is purple up more effective?

Last edited:
I think purple up has a couple other elements in it as well. I hadn't tried dosing the calcium just the purple up. :) Still got decent results!

Back
Top Bottom