Is it possible to have too much Live Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only issue would be fish not being able to move much.

There has to be SOME water in there too :lol:

The lbs/gal thing is really just a rough guide as it depends on the type of rock. Some really dense rock you'd be hard pushed to fit even 2 lbs/gal.

I think 1-1.5 lbs/gal is a good universal range that will give sufficient filtration and aesthetic quality.

I have almost 3lbs/gal in my 55g tank and could easily use more... AS long as you have caves and stuff and have more room in your tank then why not add more.. You can never have too much unless its coming out of the water and you have no room for fish to swim..

James

So having more LR is beneficial up to the point where you are using up too much swimming realestate?

Could you beneficial bacteria die from not having enough fish in the tank?

TygGer said:
Yes, the amount of bacteria created is directly related to the amount of waste being created. The bacteria grows to meet the nitrogen waste produced as fish or other animals are added. As the waste grows so wll the amount of bacteria and vice versa. Having an ample amount of LR ensures that as you stock the aquarium, the biofiltration will keep up as long as you allow a few weeks to pass between each fish addition. Inverts will not tax the filtration as a rule.

The rock is also very beneficial for the fauna that will help keep the tank clean. Worms, pods and the like will have more "living space" as well as having ample room for coral placement.

Cheers
Steve

I think the limiting factor is cost more than anything.. unless you're the patient type and don't mind waiting for base rock to colonize.

Alot of my rock is very porus and 2lbs a gal makes a fairly significant pile of rock.

One point that should be made here is that a reef tank is a continuously (we hope) growing environment. If you fill the tank with rock, will the corals have room to grow? Before you place the rock, try to get an idea what you will put in the tank and what it's growth patterns might be. A tank that looks relatively empty to start with can be running over in a couple of years.

steve-s said:
TygGer said:
Yes, the amount of bacteria created is directly related to the amount of waste being created. The bacteria grows to meet the nitrogen waste produced as fish or other animals are added. As the waste grows so wll the amount of bacteria and vice versa.

Then it sounds like if I have a lot of LR, meaning 1 to 1.5lbs/gallon, and only 1 or 2 fish in a 55 gallon tank, the excessive LR is useless because there is not enough waste to feed the bacteria?

Thanks everyone!

TygGer said:
the excessive LR is useless because there is not enough waste to feed the bacteria?
Not at all. It may not be being used to it's full potential at this moment but unless you do nothing else with the tank it will not be wasted by any means. It is actually best to set up the tank with as much LR/BR as may be needed for the eventual end goal of the tank. The less fiddling you need to do as the tank progresses, the easier it will be in the long run. For both you and the inhabitants.

Don't think of it as being wasted, think of it as being prepared for the tanks future health. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom