Is this algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimmy34275

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-231333562.jpg

This base rock was mostly white and now it's brownish plus some of the other rocks are starting to get it and some areas on the sand as well. Is it a natural process of a new tank or a problem?

It's natural. If your tank is new it will go away after a while. Just keep doing your water changes. If you aren't already, you could use RO/DI water if it doesn't go away.

It is diatom. Every new tank gets it. It feeds off of silicates and once it consumes all of the silicates it will die off. Nothing at all to worry about. It is also a sign that you may be nearing the end of you cycle. Have you been testing you water? If not, now is a good time to start.

That's awesome to both of you. I've been testing the water and besides the nitrites fluctuating everything has been good. I'm so happy now. Saltwater is new for me n I have been so nervous.

I know what you are going through. I just started in July myself. The key is......wait for it.......wait for it....... Read. LOL Oh, and have fun. Seriously, read all the posts you can on this site. It is a wealth of knowledge just waiting for you to come find it. :)

Back
Top Bottom