Is This Safe? HELP ASAP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indigobluetc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So today is the day that I pick up my new 135 and I wanted to know if this idea I had or not was a good/safe one? What I wanted to do was go to petsmart and pick up 2 of these 3 things:
Ocean Direct™ Caribbean Live Sand - Saltwater - PetSmart
CaribSea Aragonite Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand - Décor - PetSmart
Instant Ocean Synthetic Sea Salt for Saltwater Fish Tanks - Saltwater - PetSmart

Then I was going to take down my 75g and combine the 2. So here is the question/issue. SO if I take ALL of the water from the 75 and throw it in the 135 then mix new salt for the reaming 60 gal of water would that be ok? So in a way I would be doing a almost half water change. The 135 will have all new sand but will have about 70lbs of cured live rock. SO I need some help here will this be ok or do I run the risk of killing all of my fish? Fish are:
Lion fish about 6"
2 damsels
choc chip star
green spot puffer
sargassum fish

I think your plan sounds fine. The only thing I would change is, I'd skip the live sand. Stirring things up with moving it, you do run the risk of causing a mini cycle so watching your water parameters for a few days is a good idea, and be ready to do a pwc if necessary.

I am actually planning on going to buy all new sand today for the tank is that ok? I didnt want to use the old stuff.

It should be fine. I'm assuming you'll be buying all dry sand. I'd rinse it well but since it is dead sand, it should have no effect on your water parameters. And you should have plenty of live bacteria on your live rock (assuming your 75 has been set up a while) to seed the sand over time. I've done this a few times myself with no issues. HTH

It should be fine. I'm assuming you'll be buying all dry sand. I'd rinse it well but since it is dead sand, it should have no effect on your water parameters. And you should have plenty of live bacteria on your live rock (assuming your 75 has been set up a while) to seed the sand over time. I've done this a few times myself with no issues. HTH

Well the 75 has been set up for about 2 months shy of a year or so right now. Yes all the sand will be dry. So today I can combine the 2 tanks and mix new salt up and put it in the tank today and should have no issues? I have seen some stuff that you can add to tanks to boost new water would that be a good idea to do with the new water as well or I should be fine? Im just worried dont wanna loose any fish.

I see no reason to boost your new water. The only thing I would do is mix your water today or tonight and do the change over tomorrow. Give your new water plenty of time to mix and be well areated. I think you'll be fine but like I said, do water tests to be sure since moving everything will mix up some nasties from under the old sand and dead areas under and behind the rocks. You may or may not experience a mini cycle so I'd mix extra water incase you need to do a pwc.

Off topic...
Any pics of your fish? I'd love to see your saragassum. I've been considering one myself. Does it eat prepared foods? How long have you had it?

I have had him for a few months now. This is one interesting fish, he has been moved to a smaller tank for the time being since he ate my 6" Wrasse and a puffer of mine. He is about 3" or smaller! I use to feed him ghost shrimp but I have been feeding him silversides now and he seems to like it. Let me see if I can get a pic of him he likes to hide.

I agree with new sand. Dont waste your time on the old sand. As Cindy said dont fool with the supposed live sand either. New sand plus a cup or two of the old sand to seed it with will be just fine. Good luck on the conversion. Petsmart also sells Oceanic salt which would be my choice. But that is just my opinion. That plus a dollar might get you a cup of coffee. LOL

Wow, he ate your puffer! The trick for me is to find one of substantial size so that my lion doesn't try to eat it. That is encouraging though that it takes the silversides. :) Thanks. Can't wait to see pics.

The only thing I have to add to the already provided great advice is add a heater and try to get the new water to the same temp as your current tank's.

OK here are some pics of him, sorry had to use the flash I moved the rock to get some pics and he became psychotic. He is currently madly swimming around looking at me.

img_879247_0_30309ebf44dfde8a8f01fc6147893961.jpg

img_879247_1_6c9e5e6773ed4d2156b9839f341e6736.jpg

img_879247_2_4aaa90199a9927024913fb49add1d290.jpg

Wow, he sounds like a character. lol I love that last pic, he's incredible. I hope you'll post updates from time to time. :)

To Add to the note about your lion not eating him when I dropped mine in there my lion had no care for him, they also hide alot. I was wrong about the 3" as I said before. I have not really looked at him for some time and he has seen to grow to about id say about 4-5" or so. He takes the silversides just as easy as the lion I put them right in front of him and in the blink of an eye they are gone!

Just curious but what if I mixed the remaining 60 g of salt when I get the tank today and just add it in. Will that work? Will that be ok? That way the tank will be up and running today with the fish in it.

Back
Top Bottom