Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-02-2004, 01:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been thinking about those too, but I'm not too sure...what color are they? They look like a silver/bronze color in the pics. I kind of wanted black. Also, I really liked that moonlight feature that CSL has, but I'm not totally against the idea of sticking a couple into a coralife hood if they would fit. I see you've taken CSL of your site altogether...

"Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly." -Batman Costume warning label
Mrbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:15 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
What is the reason you're so against any type of crabs in your tank?
Crabs are evil!!!!

IMO, there are very few crabs that are actually herbivorous, some are noted for eating algae simply cause it s easier than catching a fish and maybe tastes better than coral, but if their preferred food source runs out they are gonna eat, and it might be your prize clam they decide to eat. Almost all hermits I have seen will kill snails for their shells, etc...

seems all the "cleanup crew" deals out there come with some type of crab
Many places have build your own kits. My tank has been crab free for about 8 months and I have not noticed an increase in anything. If I were gonna do some crabs, I would go with the dwarf zebra (left hand) hermits.

So how many snails would you suggest I get to start? 1 per gallon seems like an awful lot for an otherwise empty tank.
Agreed, I'd start with 10-15 assorted snails and maybe 10 nassarius snails for the sand bed. If you find they can't keep up, you can always add more.

The Fauna kits out there seem very expensive. Since I have 40 lbs of live rock, do you think I may have pods/worms already? I have not seen any evidence of life in the tank, other than the algae that is...
They are expensive but worth it. You can also go with a few cups or lbs of live sand, I like to exchange live sand with other reefers as often as possible to increase the diversity of the fauna in my sand.

And finally, is there any reason a fauna kit would be better than some LS or LR form www.liverocks.com? The price is comparible for both.
The only reason I would think would be you might get a greater diversity of critters from the fauna kit, the LS from liverocks.com may not have as large a diversity, but the best case scenario would be to get both 8O

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

fowlr, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com