Live Rock degrading!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*sharkbait*

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have about 60 lbs of live rock and a couple pieces seem to be losing its coraline algea. This started happening about 3 weeks ago when i bought some emerald crabs. Could these guys be eating the coraline algea. I bought the emerald crabs to fight off another menace of bubble algea. Thankfully the bubble algea doent seem to be spreading but it is not diminishing either. Any help on either of these topics would be great.

BTW - Nitrates and Nitrites very low if at all existant, Amonia is zero. I had a phosphate problem but took care of that this week with a product called phosbuster. Worked great removed the phosphates and nearly eliminated the hair algea in the tank in one week! Dont know calcium content - dont have test kit!

ONe of the elements coraline needs is calcium and you state you dont know the calcium levels. Maintaning a good calcium level as well as having the proper light setup will go a long way in maintaning and growing the coraline.

I havent done much research on emerald crabs so I cant say if they are to blame for picking at the corline or not.

ok I bought a kit and checked the calcium level - it is very low <350. Is there any way to bring the calcium level up to correct levels in an adequate amount of time so I completely dont lose the rock - Also will the coralline algea grow back or is it one of those things that once its gone it will take forever to regain what I lost?

BTW - I have VHO lighting with 2 10k bulbs 1actinic, and I believe the fourth bulb is sun bulb????? It has a green end on it if that helps Aquasun - I am not really positive on the name!

Coraline will come back with a vengence when you get the calcium up. Lots of stuff to bring it back but I am no expert on which is better/easier/safer...

Back
Top Bottom