Live Rock from liveaquaria.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericsze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think I'm going to order some Live Rock from liveaquaria.com for a new 10 Gallon Nano reef. They are running a special this week, 45# for a little less and $100.

The question is, since there is some die off during transit, and since I'll have to semi-cure it again, can I use the curing process to cycle the new tank?

Also, for FOWLR tanks (up to 30 gallons), is a skimmer necessary? Each tank has DSB's.

Yes, you can use the rock to cycle the tank.

As to the skimmer question, my usual response is if you are willing to run a skimmer on the tank in question for a couple of weeks and drink what's in the collection cup, I'll concede that the skimmer isn't needed. Nano tanks are somewhat different though. While any tank, IMO, benefits from a skimmer, most folks with nanos control nutrients with water changes. On a 10, I think this will be the easiest way to do it...especially if you aren't going to use a sump. There isn't a lot of room in a 10 for a skimmer and not a lot of room on the back either. Depending on your bioload of course, I'd say about a 2 gal change per week would be plenty. Maybe even 1 gal.
On tanks 20 gal and up, I think a skimmer of some sort should be used...at first anyway. Reefrunner has a truly awesome 20 gal reef and I'm sure he can give you some pointers about running nano tanks. I believe fishfreek also has a 20g reef going.

Um, you where not planning on ordering the 45# box for the 10 gal where you? I bring this up because I really doubt you can even put 45lbs of rock in a 10 gal tank and have much room for water.

This is one of the problems with a nano tank is that alot of the standard bundles wont work well because of the smaller space.

Yes you can cure the rock in the tank as your cycle. I run my 20 gal with no skimmer and keivin runs his 20 gal with a skimmer. I do weekly waterchanges of 4 or 5 gal to compensate for not using a skimmer. I also top off my tank from evaporation every other day.

For a 10 gal tank I would say 1 small fish or at an absoulte max 2 small fish would be your fish limit.

If this is your first tank I would seriously suggest you look at a 29 gal tank or larger simply because the larger the tank you start with the easier the upkeep on the tank will be.

Good point about the 45lbs not fitting in the 10. I think you'll find it crowded in there with anything more than 18-20 lbs. As fishfreek pointed out though, 45lbs should go nicely in a 29 and startup costs on a 29 won't really be much more than a 10. You can do a DSB in a 29 and still have room for water too.

They (liveaquaria.com) has 22# for around $79. I ordered it to supplement the LR I already have. But even that would be too much for a 10. You might have to go with another vendor that will let you buy the exact amount of LR you want.

I have to tell you, though, that I was not happy with the 22# LR I received from liveaquaria. There was hardly any coralline algae on the rock. Looked like base rock to be honest.

On the other hand, I loved the 45# I received from them a few months ago. Lots of life.

Go figure...

Back
Top Bottom