Live rock help???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharklover

Aquarium Advice Freak
If i put 50 lbs.of base rock and 25-30 lbs. Of live rock after they are both cured(being curred directly in my new 110g tank)the 25 lbs. Of live rock combined with me adding cuc's will seed the base rock right? Also with 25 lbs. Of live rock is it probable i will get any hitchhikers like mantis or pistol shrimp or bristle worms that ill have to get rid of? Also if i have a peppermint and cleaner shrimp in my 110g will they get along?----thanks ahead of time----

Hi. I would recommend even more base rock if you swing it. :) You should have about 1.5 to 2 lbs of rock per gallon. And yep, the LR will seed the base rock, I'm doing the same thing right now.

I inspect every piece of lr i buy before adding it and I have not had anything at all get by me. I found a bristlworm once and a crab which never made it to my tank

I have 3 peppermints and one pistol and so far no issues, it's only been like a week or two.

hope that was helpful!

Post some pictures we'd love to see your setup progress

Thanks but im not setting up till late august so ill be prepared and im putting so little LR to leave space for a cortez stingray to swim(been researching for months already dont worry he should fit fine for at least 4-5 years of their possible 7 life span) ill have many more Q's for u guys to come but once its set up ill send u a pic,ps- i see u all over the place on this! Lol

In all honesty you really don't NEED live rock to seed base rock. Does it speed up the process? Absolutely! But in the end, all of the rock will be live after a while. Live rock only means rock that already has the bacteria needed to maintain the tank.

You will still want to go through a proper fishless cycle regardless.

It is always possible to get hitchhikers on live rock. If you don't want any hitchhikers then the only way is to cure base rock ahead of time so that it is live by the time you need it. NOTE: This can take weeks.

If it was me I would cure the rock and cycle the tank at the same time. Just add the rock when you start the tank and add an ammonia source.

Back
Top Bottom