I'm still a newbie, but I just went through this process with liverocks.com LR
. I had a tremendous (4-8) spike of ammonia. I was changing 20-25% of the water daily, which probably wasn't enough. I lost one damsel before moving the second to a QT
. If you plan to use your main tank, I would QT
the fish. The alternative is to cure the LR
in a separate tank. As has been stated, it is hard to tell what will die and when. I had a squirt that lasted through the high spike, but died shortly after the ammonia was back to zero. I let the tank sit for a couple weeks after ammonia spike and verified the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate were all zero before putting the damsel back in. Also, Zack specifically asked me to pass along that only SW
should be used to rinse the rock, not the carbonated as was previously suggested here.