Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2004, 06:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

What do people feel about curing in a quarantine tank? Kinda like QTing a rock...

Fluval 304
CPR BakPak skimmer w/ preskimmer
Aquaclear 201 and 301 powerheads
Tronic 100W heater
2 20W NO lights
5-stage RO filter

Snail crew, Peppermint Shrimp, 2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Percula Clown, Watchman Goby
flynnternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 11:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

fishman wrote:

Quote:
So would I just get some RO water and drop the rock into a 10-15 gallon tank with a pump and heater then?? For how many days? Also do I use fresh RO saltwater or some from my tank?
We have a great article on our site about curing LR here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...aq=2&fldAuto=6

Basically all you need is a container that has SW already mixed, a powerhead, and heater. Check the levels each day to see what is going on. When both ammonia and nitrite has hit zero your rock can be added to the display.

flynnternet wrote:

Quote:
What do people feel about curing in a quarantine tank? Kinda like QTing a rock...
Well if you follow the articles method of curing LR, you are basically QT'ing it...

Old 04-01-2004, 12:27 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would not put it in a tank that is cycling; this tanks high levels can kill what is alive on your lr

when they say your rock should be put in a container with heater to "cycle", they are referring to a low to moderate ammonia spike due to some die off from s/h, the reasoning is your tanks inhabitants should not be subjected to it

a good idea may be to do a 10 gal water change, only drain into the containter with the lr, put a heater and some circulation and when levels reach 0 for ammonia, nitrites put lr in display tank, it is now "cured", I have seen this take as little as a several days or weeks even, and water changes could be required during this time
Old 04-01-2004, 09:37 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

fishman,

I'm still a newbie, but I just went through this process with liverocks.com LR. I had a tremendous (4-8) spike of ammonia. I was changing 20-25% of the water daily, which probably wasn't enough. I lost one damsel before moving the second to a QT. If you plan to use your main tank, I would QT the fish. The alternative is to cure the LR in a separate tank. As has been stated, it is hard to tell what will die and when. I had a squirt that lasted through the high spike, but died shortly after the ammonia was back to zero. I let the tank sit for a couple weeks after ammonia spike and verified the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate were all zero before putting the damsel back in. Also, Zack specifically asked me to pass along that only SW should be used to rinse the rock, not the carbonated as was previously suggested here.

Good luck,

Jeff
304 Fluval
2 Maxijet 900 PHs
60# LR
1 Blue Damsel
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
2 Percula Clown
1 Yellow Tang (Small)
1 Peppermint Shrimp
3 Astrea, 3 Cerith, and Unknown Nassarius (LR hitch hikers Snails
jvennitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 10:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

you could gust use any old tub cant you it doesnt have to be an aquarium to cure rock
Old 04-04-2004, 06:07 AM   #16

Can you?

First off, yes, I am a newbie.
Second, my newbie question.....Can you add more Live Rock to your existing tank as long as it is fully cured?

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread.....it seems to fit here though.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:10 AM   #17

Ouch...

made my first mistake already. Too bad I can't delete these posts (found the info further down the line
Old 04-04-2004, 08:54 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

D_art,

Welcome to AA. 8)

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 05:10 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
you could gust use any old tub cant you it doesnt have to be an aquarium to cure rock
You don't have to use an actual aquarium. You can use a different container, especially if you are adding more LR to an existing tank. You can use a plastic tub or garbage can. I have seen posts that say a new Rubbermaid garbage can is good. I would buy it new, so it is clean -- not used for anything else, no soap residue, etc. I would rinse it out well with tap water (squirt it with a hose), and then give it a final rinse of RO water, and then put your rock, saltwater, heater, and powerhead in.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com