Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyG View Post
I'm sorry I am really new to saltwater fish, if you haven't noticed already. I am not sure what pods are? Is that a plant? If so, would they have them at a regular pet store? So if I can't get pods, do u think the mysis will work?

Well, one thing is for sure, next time I buy a fish I will run it through you guys first! Everyone seems to know a lot about fish. I didn't do any research before I bought the fish, but the pet store associates seemed like they new what they were talking about when I was asking them questions.
Nothing wrong with being new to the hobby. You will learn as you go. It is always best to research each purchase before you make it. Most LFSs (local fish store) are interested in your money and not always what is best for a beginner.

Pods= Copepods this is what the mandarin feeds on almost exclusively. To have a good population of pods you need lots of live rock and a refugium helps as well. Usually I don't recommend this fish for anyone that has less then a 55g tank or had it set up for at least a year with lots of live rock. They are tough to keep because of the food they require. With out a constant source of pods they will starve to death.

Google is your friend. If you see a fish you like type it into google and do some reading about it. Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums is another good source for information on fish. Minimum tank size food compatibality all the good stuff. Read, read and read some more. Ask lots of questions here or elsewhere, just keep in mind that the folks here are usually talking from experience and they have nothing to gain.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Allen has spot on advice!
LFS wants to make money, we give advice for free, so ask away!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

thanks a lot for all the great advice!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I had a long nose butterfly that took about two months til I saw him eating. Just takes time, I used a bottle of copepods from the lfs. Seemed to work after some time.
90 gallon FOWLR 45gallong sump with Oceanic #6 skimmer. Iwaki return pump. Koralia 4 and two 300 gph powerheads.
kgriffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
The zoe and selcon are added nutrients, that you soak you frozen food in for the health of the fish. Garlic guard is good for stimulating an appetite response (no scientific proof there) but my fish go nuts, it is also known to boost the immune systems of fish.
The copepods needs a "safe haven" to multiply (sump/fuge) where they can reproduce and are plentiful for the goby. Typically, you want a pretty mature tank, and a newer 55 won't be able to support one. I have a 55 and won't put one in there (personal opinion) even though it's been up for years.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butterfly, fly, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com