LR has brown coating on it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jandc805

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has particles floating all over the tank and the 10lbs of LR in it has a brown coating on it that looks furry/hair like. All readings are 0 and my salinity is 1.024. This started happening after cycling and my tank has been up for about 6-7 weeks. Could this be a phosphate problem? I originally used my neighbors water to start my tank since he had that water softening system in his home. Any thought?
Thanks

I have attached a pic of the rock. It looks like heavy dust on it not sure if you could tell much since the rock is behind my insert the pic was a bit hard to get. hope it works since I have never attached a pic

View attachment untitled.bmp

I just put my astrea snails on the rock and it looks like they are cleaning it up, hopefully they get it all!

We've been using tap water and it must have a bit of silicates in it. Seems every PWC generates a new diatom bloom. Just when things are looking good too.
So next PWC (today) is going to be with the good stuff - local Water Store does 5G refills for $1. We'll see if it helps!

- D

Tell me about it! I'm on the BRS group buy and came VERY close to getting a unit. But I sat down and did the math. Even factoring in the cost of the containers (why are they so expensive?) it'd take me about 3 years of weekly PWCs to pay for a decent RO/DI. $1/5G - 5G weekly PWC...
Add that to the fact that in this rental we don't really have a good place to set one up and I might as well wait until we're in a better location. The Water Store is 2 miles away - easy enough.

- D

Back
Top Bottom