LR Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spazz67

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK is it safe to go ahead and add live rock and my oyster clusters to my tank. These are the only things I have in it,
1Turbo Snail
1 Cerith Snail
2 Red leg hermits
2 Peppermint Shrimp
3 Feather Duster

Or should I keep it curing in a bucket? And is purple-up a good additive for live rock? And can it safly be added to a tank?

So you only have sand and the other critters you listed in the tank right now?

Is the LR cured? If the rock is not cured then I would wait until it is cured before putting it in the tank since you have animals in there.

Purple up is not all that great. I would stop using it.

Definitely leave it in the bucket then. Since you have critters in the tank already, you don't want to risk bringing in anything that might cycle the tank again. You're still probably at least a couple weeks away from those ammonia and nitrite numbers going to zero.

Yeah, stay away from the purple up. Regular water changes will keep needed nutrients in the water sufficient enuf for the purple to grow at a decent, natural pace. Patience will be your friend in this hobby.

You got a powerhead in that bucket, right?

So you only have sand and the other critters you listed in the tank right now?

Is the LR cured? If the rock is not cured then I would wait until it is cured before putting it in the tank since you have animals in there.

Purple up is not all that great. I would stop using it.

id say cure it to be safe. and i wouldnt use purple up, you'll get pleanty of algae as it is, dont worry.

Definitely leave it in the bucket then. Since you have critters in the tank already, you don't want to risk bringing in anything that might cycle the tank again. You're still probably at least a couple weeks away from those ammonia and nitrite numbers going to zero.

Yeah, stay away from the purple up. Regular water changes will keep needed nutrients in the water sufficient enuf for the purple to grow at a decent, natural pace. Patience will be your friend in this hobby.

You got a powerhead in that bucket, right?

Yeah my fish died due to marine Velvet. (Ty again Austinsdad for the help with the ID)
I didn't know I needed a powerhead in the bucket. the care package that came with the live rock said to put it directly into the tank unless it had an odor or if the tank had fish in it. in case either of these conditions, place LR in a Bucket/container with a heater, air stone and a light source. And to add Purple-Up to get purple coraline algae growth in as little as 2 weeks. (Taking the Purple Up back to the pet store today, never used it and I really don't like to use chemicals in a tank. They scare me.)

The air stone will do since the LR needs oxygen. I just prefer the water movement from a powerhead which also provides oxygen. Same principal applies with an established SW tank. No oxygen, and everything dies. LR bacteria, hence the rock dies, the fish, coral.

The powerhead works IMO to kinda blow off and clean the rock, so that when it is finally cured, the decayed dead stuff would have likely fallen off. With the powerhead, I'm thinking you can give it a good nylon brushing and SW rinse to get the dead stuff off.

Also, don't need the light on the rock either. Just watch until the ammonia and nitrite go up and down to know when it's ready. Then you can add it to the main. If you don't add it to the main after its cured, you'll have to feed the bacteria an ammonia source with small amounts of fish food. So it's better to watch the readings and transfer when ready IMO.

Last edited:
I agree with everything except the purple up. I have always used Purple up and my tank has flourished everywhere with Coraline. Not saying that all of it is from the Purple up, because i have Purple Actinics, but it definitely does an amazing job giving a boost to the coraline algae. I love the fact that it only targets the coraline pinks and purple algaes not the brown hair and nuisence algaes. I love the product but everyone has their own opinion. Happy Reefing

Ya know, some reefers I know love purple up. It will 'bring the purple'. So it's a preference thing. I don't like those big sheets or vast expanses of purple in a tank. I like more random, naturally occuring purple areas in a tank.

So it's about what you like. Would have to be patient if not adding the booster.

You can get the "big sheets" and "vast expanses" of coralline (in purple, even!) just fine without PurpleUp, just as long as your calcium and alkalinity levels are not insanely low. My back glass is a testament to that.

Back
Top Bottom