Maintaining an established FOWLR , wondering about water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fourmyclowns

Aquarium Advice Activist
Newbie here! Just purchased an established 75G SW tank and had it moved into our home last night, water and all. Previous owner was helpful but I may not have asked the right questions. I am confident that the water we got from him is in great condition so I don't want to mess it up. I will try to keep this simple. For now I understand in a month we should change out 25% water. At what point do I need to test the water if it came already balanced? He gave me a test kit in liquid forms and I see some paper test strips in there for freshwater as well. He knows his stuff so I assumed those work for saltwater ph testing as well?

Do I test before the water change, after or both?
I read somewhere that flakefood isn't adequate for 100% feedings, should I try some shrimp? (there are two clownfish, one angelfish and one dart)

Last question - I see a large snail on the liverock. While we enjoy watching him, is he harmful to the rock or beneficial?

I appreciate a helping hand!

Hi, welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
You have found the best place on the net for great and friendly aquarium advice.
At what point do I need to test the water if it came already balanced?
Moving the tank will most likely throw things off a bit. I would start testing now. I am ot a fan of those "dip stick" test strips. you can find something that is a bit more accurate. Get a drop test for Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph.
Do I test before the water change, after or both?
Both is fine for now. I would also consider using a high quality RO/DI water for top-offs and changes instead of tap water.
read somewhere that flakefood isn't adequate for 100% feedings,
variety is the key. What livestock are you feeding? That will make a difference.
I see a large snail on the liverock. While we enjoy watching him, is he harmful to the rock or beneficial?
Snails are your tank's cleaning system. Keep it!
I appreciate a helping hand!
Stick around...we are just getting started. :wink:
I suggest your next purchase be a good book on SW tanks. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. It is a great book and I am sure you will find it helpful...Lando

Hello Lando - thank you for your tips! I tried to test today but the testkit I received is missing vials so I have to get some tomorrow and try again.

You gave some very detailed advice on feeding to "Aquafreek" in a forum that posted after mine. Could I apply those foods you listed to my fish - clowns, blue/yellow angel and a dartfish. fourmyclowns

The foods will work fine. Your angle might like the nori sheets. Like I said there, hte key is variety and supplimenting the food with vitachem and selcon. Should keep your fish happy and healthy.

Thanks for a speedy reply! I made a shopping list for tomorrow. I think that book you mentioned was one I looked at before. I'll pick it up. I do have some dried seaweed. I'll give them some tonight.

Back
Top Bottom