Mandarins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boscoj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Question. How old does a tank have to be before considering adding a mandarin fish? And is a 3 ft 40 gallon considered big enough, or should u really only get one if u have a 55 gallon?

You need a very established tank, at least a year, preferably older. You also need a refugium or ALOT of rock in the tank so the pods can breed. A mandarin can eat asn entire tank worth of pods in just a few days.

Your best bet is to try to find one that is eating frozen foods or pellets. Try an ORA one, they are like $50 but they have a better chance of survival. At least in my experience. I had my mandarin for a couple years and she ate everything, frozen pellets and pods. It took alot of work to get her trained and she could have easily died in the month it took to get her eating frozen. Luckily I had a refugium and alot of rock so she was able to eat up the pods I did have in the meantime.
I wont be getting another one, I figure I was lucky with one and it wont happen again. I'm glad I did it, not sure I would do it again if i had to do over.

Back
Top Bottom