More FOWLR tank questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hwguru

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Being new to a marine setup, I of course have lots of questions.

I have 7 freshwater tanks, of various sizes, from 10 gallon, to 75 gallon..

in my 35 hex FOWLR tank, I have started to cycle the tank, with a pair of yellowtail blue damsels, and a pair of green chromis. all fish appear to be doing well, and have been in the tank now for 3+ days, the Damsels have found hideouts in the LR, and seem to be doing fine, and the Chromis have deepened their color.
my question is about an algae bloom.
I have been watching my ph, and keeping an eye on the LR, as I wasn't too sure of it's status, but my water has taken on a slight green sheen, and I'm assuming this is an algae bloom from the LR curing in my tank.

what, if anything, do I need to do about this? I know some algae is good, but do i need to add chemicals, or anything? thanks so much for the help..

I would suggest removing the damsels: 1) it is unnecessary to cycle with fish, and actually regardless of their hardiness it is still a fairly brutal experience. Cycling with liverock and/or shrimp is just as efficient without putting any livestock through the dangerous conditions. 2) Once established, the damsels may be very hard to remove if they are not meant to be permanent fish. Although they are more of the peaceful species, you have not left yourself with much room for additions in a 35g tank because of the shape of a hex tank (low surface area and available territory.

As for the algae, this is common for virtually every new aquarium. It can and will occur on the substrate, rock, and imagine your water from the dissolved organics from the cycle. It will stabilize after you do a large water change after the cycle and the tank begins to mature.

I sthis live rock cured or uncured? If its cured then you probably wonts ee much of an ammonia spike. You make no mention of checking ammonia. Are you and if so what are the readings?

Back
Top Bottom