more Q's... and more to learn :)!!!!!!!!!(ready to start?!?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike3epanda

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do you guys think I'm ready to start my aquarium and put water in it to start the cycle?.... I got this so far:

75 gal tank w/ DIY stand
Fluval Filter
Some filter that I bought that acts as a powerhead for currents
Florida Crushed Coral
Amquel Dechlorinator
Sea Salt Instant Ocean
Deep Six Hydrometer
Test Kit pH High Range
Seachem Test Kits Nitrite/Nitrate
SeaClone Protein Skimmer SCPS 150 (up to 150 gallons)

am I ready to drop some wate in my tank? what u guys think... what else do I need...( BTW I'm going to add the live rocks later because I want to wait and not kill any critters during the cycle) thank you in ADVANCE!!!!

Re: I got it all to start with!!!! I think !?!

Do you guys think I'm ready to start my aquarium and put water in it to start the cycle?.... I got this so far:

75 gal tank w/ DIY stand

Fluval Filter

Florida Crushed Coral Return this if you can it will trap ditris and cause high phosphates and nitrAtes , this will cause algea problems that likely will not be easy to get under control .

Amquel Dechlorinator If you use RO/DI or distlled water you wont need this if you are planning on using tap dont there are more things in there than chlorine , heavy metals to start with , you will probably have algea issues and high phosphates

Sea Salt Instant Ocean that is fine

Deep Six Hydrometer Not accurite spend the money and get a refracometer refractometer link click here

Test Kit pH High Range

Seachem Test Kits Nitrite/Nitrate good but you will need a full test kit ammonia , nitrAte, nitrIte, PH , and phosphate as well as others later on when and if you go reef

am I ready to drop some wate in my tank? what u guys think... Nope you still have alot of reading to do yet you are a bit of ways off IMHHO what else do I need...( BTW I'm going to add the live rocks later because I want to wait and not kill any critters during the cycle) thank you in ADVANCE!!!! It is impossible to cycle with out the LR and even if you did it and you added it there would still be die off and another cycle , some things that come on our live rock is quite resilient you will be surprised at what will make it , but by limmiting the exposure to air and buying cured lr you should have some die off not huge .

Sounds like a good start...just keep reading and researching. I will offer a few comments...
Fluval Filter
If you intend to use a cansiter filter, I suggest removing the biological media and using it for added flow, aplace to run chemical filtration and for mechanical filtration if you desire. Canisters require very regular cleaning to keep NO3 down.
Actual powerheads will be much better for your tank. I suggest three maxi-jet 1200s.
Florida Crushed Coral
CC will work, but it require much more maintanace then LS. My suggestion is to return it and go with LS, I think you will be much happier in the long-run.
Deep Six Hydrometer
This will work for now, but certainly go to the LFS and have it tested against a refracto so you know how much it is off. I highly suggest getting a refracto down the road.
This will be a bit under-powered for your tank. The SeaClone is not the best skimmer out there by any means but I have used it with great success on SMALLER tanks. There are some better suited models out there for your tank.
...( BTW I'm going to add the live rocks later because I want to wait and not kill any critters during the cycle)
If you are ordering LR online, I would order it and add it now. It will help your tank cycle. If you intend to purchase it locally, I would at least add a small amount now to help out with the cycle and build your biological filter up a bit.

I agree with Lando on just about every point. That Seaclone is a real issue especially with an aquarium the size of yours. I would recommend either returning it, not getting it if you have not already and just going skimmer less.

I have florida crushed coral in my set up and I am taking it all out this weekend. I have to replace it with sand. It is a pain vacuuming the crushed coral every personal water change. I also have a high nitrate count because of the crushed coral.

I agree on the CC, I had it in my tank and had to remove due to it being a pain to clean. You can cycle with LR. This is suggested especially if you order it online, this rock will have a lot of dieoff and can cause another cycle in your tank. I agree with the fluvial, I only run purigen and the ceramic rings in it. I took out all the sponges as well. Go for the power heads, you will be baly to direct flow better than just using a filter. I like the Hydors, for wide spread, gentle flow. MJs are great for a powerful stream. Definitely get the refractometer, much more accurate and easy to read.

thanks guys... know i got more reading to do... I've done nothing but read about SW's for a week online and it seems that I still have a longway to go..... About the powerheads...the one that im going use will be fine because they are actually pretty strong and i will use 2 of them... I've already bought all those stuff so i can't return it... especially the CC... I've opened it and the LFS saidthat they wont take it bak.. I will go with live sand later tho (once the hassle starts)... how much is the minimum LR should I get?... I'm in serious budget rightnow so i'm just going for minimum and I will add more LR later... Also I've read and read about the skimmer and have heard that this is the best bang for the buck (better than jebo at least).... thanks guys, keep replying and telliing me more to help... I will post pics later of it...

I would suggest that since you seem to be very limited on budget to wait and save up so you can start it off right instead of just the minimums and below par equipment. In the meant time you can read up and learn more. If you start off with just the minimums you are going to have lots of problems and your going to spend lots of time trying to correct them and not enjoying the hobby. Do it right the first time.

It is usually recommended that 1.5-2 lbs per gallon of LR. If you are able to get some porus and light weight LR you might be able to get by with it. Even though you have CC I would get rid of it and take the loss and purchase some sand. Sand is not that expensive. I also agree with what the others said about if you dont have the money to properly start right then take the time to wait till you do. You`ll find out if you get in a big hurry and try to cut and scrimp on the necessary things you`ll have big problems.

mike3epanda said:
...Also I've read and read about the skimmer and have heard that this is the best bang for the buck (better than jebo at least).... thanks guys, keep replying and telliing me more to help...

Folks are telling you a bunch, but from all the previous posts I've seen it looks like you're not too interested in accepting the help! Folks have told you over and over that the Seaclone is probably not a good purchase, but yet you got it anyway. Not sure where you heard it's a good "bang for the buck", but I don't think it was here.

Like the others, I'll just add one thing. S-L-O-O-O-W D-O-O-O-W-N. I'm pretty sure no one is threatening you with bodily harm if you don't set up your tank within 36 hours. If you can't sit on your hands for a month while you learn more (more than just surfing this site for a few days) and even better, save up money, then you're in for a world of hurt when you actually get things in your tank. The only thing that comes easy and quick in this hobby are bad results. Guaranteed.

Listen to Kurt mike. I was like you at the beginning and learned to be patient. you dont want your money going to waste. i have a Seaclone only because it was free. Take it back, you are going to need to tweak it alot. i had to tweak it for a few days and even then i still had bubbles in my tank. in the end i had to add a piece of filter to the return of the skimmer. After all the tweaks it gets the job done but it shouldnt be a part time job to get it to work right.

sry if i didn't listen about the skimmer guys,... it was just that my budget was around $100 and everybody keeps telling me to get aquaC remora pro and i think that its too much...( though its probably really effective)... also I am actually slowing down on it and I will get live rocks first before i start... though i will probably die on boredom during cycle, I think that is the time I'm actually research closely for everythiing i need to know about SW... once again, thanks and apologies for mistake :cry: :)

I used a product called cycle which actually helps with the cycling process of your tank and you can even add beneficial bacteria which will speed up the process.

mike3epanda said:
though i will probably die on boredom during cycle
I doubt that, it will give you time to save some cash, learn how the cycle works and soon you will be able to help other new members with their tanks.

artoledo said:
I used a product called cycle which actually helps with the cycling process of your tank and you can even add beneficial bacteria which will speed up the process.
That is for fresh water and it really does not work it is a snake oil so to speak ... On a budget of 100 dollars you can get a couple basic things such as a tank (depending on size) filtration and power heads . Again that depends on your tank size !
For us we rushed and we crashed and burned , my husband said if I wanted a salt tank then I needed to cool it because we were putting cash in the trash . He made me sit down and take all the reciepts of everything bought and add it up I cried , then he made me read and read and read ! He made me join up on sites to learn the pros and cons before another drop of water was in the tank . The tank set empty for over 8 weeks in our living room . Yes there will be failures in this hobby but those will teach you so it is not a moot point . So after all was said and done we went through hours of reading and going through the equipment we had , salvaged what could be used trashed the rest ! Then every 2 weeks from a list I bought 1 or 2 things for the tank till I had at the least the basics , I did not have a reef so lighting was not a major point yet, but a few months (almost a year later) we went reef so I saved and saved and got a light to work for our system , now while it is a PC light (before any one jumps on me for pc only it is a nano tank.) I was then ready for a reef , I can honestly say if I had all the money I spent with the first failures I would have alot more corals ....in this hobby slow and steady wins the race ! You need to take responsibilty for the system you are about to endevor on and know that you can successfuly handle it good and bad. My tanks have been up for close to 3 years now (or a bit longer ) they are quite stable so I do my monthly testing ,once your tank is up and running stable for a year then you options are limmited to your imagination I have learned to read my tanks inhibitants so that if something seems off it probably is I automatically prep for a water change and test , this has prevented full fledged crashes ! If you can honestly say you cant you are not ready , studing up and slowly making purchaces is the easiest on your wallet and makes the rewards all that more sweet ! I am currently going to redo my one nano and then possibly my pico, but I have a plan should I grow sick of one or both I can move them to one or the other tanks safely . Remember only slow and steady will win this race , other wise you are likely to stumble fall and curse the hobby all together , it is a great hobby with big pay offs but it will not happen over night guaranteed !Patients and listening dont seem to be one of your strong points it wasnt one of mine either but I learned oh I learned .Now you have some cash in the trash with stuff that is sub par and will need replaced sooner than later .

If money is an issue, I would not waste any on "quick cycle" products like this. Trust me, they do nothing to prepare the tank for long-term habitaion and do not compare to a good old fashion 6 week cycle.

Mike, you have been given some very good advice here. If you want to keep the SeaClone, go for it. IMHO, it is better then nothing but you will have wished you saved up and got something better down the road. As far as the CC goes...cut your loses and get some sand. You do not need to purchase LS in a bag. Dry sand from the LFS or aragonite based play sand from the local home inprovemement center will do fine (its about $5 for a 50lb bag). We are trying to help you do things right from the begining to save you heart ache and trouble down the raod.
About the powerheads...the one that im going use will be fine because they are actually pretty strong and i will use 2 of them...
What are you using? The problem with HOB filters is that they do not give you the option to direct a more concentrated flow anywhere in the tank. While they may add additional surface flow, powerheads are a much better option.

whoa... great advices.... Yes I thought of it that way (seaclone is better than nothing)..

also the powerheads that I have are both from a different country so it s unknown..
it is
Precision PF-9500
AC 220V/60hz 18w
Hmax: 1.1
Qmax: 1200 L/H

U guys think 2 of those is good enough for a powerhead? I'll try to send pics later (still looking for my camera)

About the CC, I am getting some sand soon so this shouldn't be a problem

CYCLE- so doing the old 6 weeks cycle is great... am I suppose to start that with LR?... somebody told me to put a deli shrimp in the tank so bacterias starts to grow.... is tat true?... do i have to put any to start with?... or do they just come out of nowhere?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom