My false perc clown had found his way into the overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltieFresh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here it is: My false perc clown had found his way into the overflow of my 90 gallon. How in the heck do I get him out? Since the plumbing is in the way, it's really hard to get to him. I was thinking about disconnecting the pipes from the bottom so that I could remove them on top. But then it dawned on that the water would drain immediately with a clown possibly falling through or getting stuck in the overflow without a way for me to really reach him.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

can you not get your hands down in there? seems like the overflow I used to have had enough room for my hand (and i have big hands) to get in there and get stuff out

The overflow would be large enough for me to stick my hands (or a fish net) down if the inflow and outflow pipes weren't so big.

Can't you siphon the guy back out through with some kind of gravel vac ?? The tubing is plenty big (if your clown is smaller) for it to work.

I think he's too big for the siphon I have. Since I can't really fit anything between the pipes back there, I might have to just take one of the pipes out and let the water and the clown drain into a bucket below the tank...or would he risk injury by doing this?

Look at it this way...He will die if you don't get him out!

Just a quick update: I got him out! I ended up having to take out the pipes from the overflow since I couldn't fit anything down there from the top. I just put a net where the hole was and pulled the pipe out quickly to let the water drain. The fish fell into the net and I quickly transferred him into the tank.

I've had this problem a couple of times, though never with anything as large as clownfish. I generally used a turkey baster or piece of tubing to remove the water down to where the fish can't really get anywhere. I then use two small nets; 1 to herd and 1 to catch it. It once took mee 3 days to get a flasher wrasse out. It carpet surfed a couple of months later.

I have the top of the overflow covered now. Oh yeah, I also found a hermit crab down there as well, lol.

Back
Top Bottom