My fish apparently can change its color.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christine22780

Aquarium Advice Activist
:changes:I bought this fish as an impusle with my husband. Its a Spotted Grouper who is very cool, except that he eats everything he can fit in his mouth!

Ive had him for about 1 1/2yrs. I tried to ask about this on another thread, but no one understood what exactly I was talking about...
I just did some research and it says:
The grouper's defense towards a predator is to change it's color to match it's surroundings. :changes:
And, I guess he gets startled when the lights go off and on, or we get upclose..b/c Ive been noticing this for awhile, and my husband thought he was seeing funny tonight when he saw it for himself, lol..
http://www.miamisci.org/oceans/coralreef/predators/2grouper.html

I also found this of Giant Groupers in the ocean...this one looks JUST like mine but 1,000x Larger, its freaky!!! I couldnt imagine swimming with mine.
Kermadec Islands - giant groupers

I thought these sites and the info was pretty cool, just wanted to share. Does anyone else have this fish?? He very neat, acts like he swims slowly, and is lazy but as soon as some food goes in the tank he darts so fast, nothing could escape his path.

I don't have a grouper but have been on dives where they live and they are HUGE!
Many fish will change color, either to hide or when they sleep. I had a blue devil damsel that would turn almost black, it's pretty neat. If you dive, play with an octopus, they are truly amazing and their color changes are pretty cool.

See, I kept thinking something was wrong with him! Id see him change over the course of the day, and I was confused..
I just got 2 blue/green chromis and last night I flicked the light on, and 1 of them had blue/teal spots all over him...I just got them yesterday, and apparently they can change color too....its pretty cool. Its their way of comunicating their scared , or nervous.
Those groupers were pretty huge on that site, I can only imagine the stuff they fit into that mouth being that big.

When your grouper gets bigger, don't be surprised if your other fish go missing.....

They already have!! Well, Ive had him for omost 2yrs... since them, he has eaten 1 fish...My husband brought a small fish home thinking hed be <ok>, lol....that was stressful. Now hes only with 2 other fish his size and they are friendly.

be warned, ive read those guys can get up to 27 inches if its the spotted ( aka panther) grouper I've seen listed. I've see na few small babies at my lfs - about an inch to two inches, neat and very pretty but when I saw how big they can get.. wow! lol... good luck ;) Might wana find that guy a new home sometime soon..

be warned, ive read those guys can get up to 27 inches if its the spotted ( aka panther) grouper I've seen Might wana find that guy a new home sometime soon..

There is a HUGE difference between my fish, spotted grouper, & the panther grouper.... Huge- meaning size difference. The Panther who Ive seen selling in stores alot..requires a tank about 180gals.. My spotted requires about 70gal, & is HALF the size! Ive only seen mine being sold the time I got him, and they only had one.:-D

Hes awesome, and great for an aggressive tank..which I have with a Sailfin Tang, and Niger Trigger.Ive yet to see anyone else with one, or a Panther Grouper.

I started out with FW fish & had a Tinfoil Barb, who I had no clue would get to be bigger than a foot, and HUGE! I learned that lesson the hard way.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+32+166&pcatid=166
Also, Tank specimens are rarely as huge as regular ocean fish as I have read.

Hah well good :) I almost fell into the panther grouper trap myself. Back when I was looking into everything, my boyfriend pointed out a really pretty small spotted fish that I knew nothing about at the time. Luckily I wasnt ready for fish yet LOL... hopefully too many dont fall for a cute little 1" fish that could grow to 2 feet!

if I wasnt keeping small peaceful fish, a small grouper like yours would be neat.

Many fish change their color or lose their color at night. My foxface lo turns brown and mottled at lights out. Also his spine go up to warn everyone else away, especially me.

Back
Top Bottom