Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seldomri

Aquarium Advice Newbie
got a 55 gallon FISH ONLY tank and i set it all up with store bought water and salt and everything was good i took a water sample in to get tested everything was good and they said i was ready to put in some fish so i got 6 damsels to cycle the tank 2 domino black 4 striped and 2 yellow tails. is it alright to add a penquin to help the current or using a canister filter enough for a good current. the canister it for up to 55 gallon tanks. also should i use one of those air filter guys to add bubble to the tank? i tried to test the water with the hydrometer and this morning the reading was good and all of a sudden the reading jumped up on me. is this due to adding the peguin ad the air filtration into the tank? please help do not want to kill the fish. any help is greatly appriciated

between test has any water evaporated?
during the day when your water evaporates you salinity will increase.
when you top off the tank everyday be sure and use regular water (not saltwater) to refill.

If you don't want to kill the fish, then I'd suggest taking the fish back to the LFS and reading up on cycling the tank without fish.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html

Reading salinity with a hydrometer (swing arm one) is not a really accurate method, as you've already found out. It's tough to get consistent readings with a swing-arm unit. A better choice would be a refractometer. It'll run you about $50 off the internet, double that at your LFS. As Gomer noted, unless you replace the evaporated water each day, your salinity will naturally increase - but I'm guessing that's really not your problem... it's the hydrometer.

Regarding additional flow, it's easier (and cheaper) to just use submersible powerheads (like MaxiJets, Korallias, etc) to increase your flow. That way you can put it where you want it and not just where you can hang the Penguin at.

Best advice I can give is take the fish back and do some research about how to start and stock a saltwater tank. Sounds like your LFS started you down a path you didn't need to go down.

I will totally agree getting a refractometer. I tried both yesterday, the hydro said 1010 and I just decided to double check with the refr, and sure enough it was dead on 1024. I have thrown my hydro in the trash.

8 fish? To cycle? Wow.

Got any rock in the tank? I'd totally agree on you reading that fishless cycle article. That, in addition to the fact that you may be almost at your max fish population with one decent sized fish added. Not to mention that all those damsels will likely pick on any new additions anyway as they are the first ones in and will ne territorial. And they're just mean too.

Take the fish back and read that article. And try to take your time and go slower. I can guarantee headaches and lost money when you rush.

Good luck!

I agree. Cycle the tank the humane way. Read that article that was posted on cycling your tank.

:DHey, good luck - so much trial and error, but you can really cut down on the error by purchasing some really good books. I'd tell you which I bought but on another forum I was on the moderator made fun of the book I was suggesting and seemed really jealous or something of the author - regarding sharks and the moderator was supposedly a shark expert, but anyway (my ranting will stop), educate yourself with books, read up constantly and keep on this friendly forum. It will soon be so easy - except for the nitrates - they are going to be the death of me.

Just tap the hydro filled with water gently to rid of any fine bubbles attached to needle.
Any thoughts on LR?

Back
Top Bottom