need help with clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 6 small fish in my 36 gallon bowfront, 1 of them a clownfish.

He seems very peaceful and never bothers anybody.

I am planning to buy a mated pair of clowns tomorrow to add to my tank.

WILL THE 3 CLOWNS GET ALONG?, OR DO I NEED TO REMOVE MY FIRST ORIGINAL CLOWN?

also once clowns are a mated pair, will they stay a pair forever?

plz help if you can

As Kurt stated you are at your max as far as fish go. If you added a mated pair of clowns they will kill the other clown and harass the others possiblely to their death.

Last edited:
DARN IT!!! I wish I asked this last week, before I ordered the pair from my lfs and paid for them. I need to pick them up todau or they wont give me my money back.

I have another 20 gallon tank, if I move 2 chromis and my original clown to the 20, will the mated clowns be ok?

also mated clowns can only be by themselves in a tank???? they will harass everybody else???

And besides three clowns will not make it in that size tank. A mated pair would be OK but with the other one added they would fight to the death. I too agree that you are at the limit.

DARN IT!!! I wish I asked this last week, before I ordered the pair from my lfs and paid for them. I need to pick them up todau or they wont give me my money back.

I have another 20 gallon tank, if I move 2 chromis and my original clown to the 20, will the mated clowns be ok?

also mated clowns can only be by themselves in a tank???? they will harass everybody else???

that sounds okay i suppose. they dont have to be by themselves, but they will defend where ever they make a nest

Ummmm so what fish are in your tank? I find it hard to say someone is overstocked if they don't show what they are keeping (please forgive me if I just don't see where he has posted his stocking list).

Also, what kind of clownfish are you planning to purchase? A little more info on your tank would be appreciated since we are making blind recommendations.

@James- 6 fish, 2 chromis, 1 clown, 3 unknown. Adding a pair of clowns is not going to cut it in a 36.

Moving the clown and 2 chromis to a 20 might clear enough room for a pair of clowns.

Be sure to move some filter material to the 20 to help kick start the cycle.

2 chromis and 4 unknown fish isn't enough information. I've done just as many fish in a 20g without any cause for concern and just depends on experience and compatibility.

You are correct that I would not add a pair of clowns and thank you for piece mailing the links together. I've had much more luck putting trios of skunk clowns together than other species (either trade the clown for the pair, depending on species, or add a single clown and pair yours up). I am not conservative with stocking, but depending on your experience level you may be treading thin ice with any reasonable introductions.

Back
Top Bottom