New 125

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmkb02

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I plan to start my 125 up within the next few weeks. I currently have a naso and sailfish tang that are going into it. Going to be running a fuge with all media in it. Going to hopefully be getting it drilled this week and cycle started by next week. Any ideas for it? Would love any input.

Ok well I was thinking of going more predator and was curious if anyone has kept a naso and/or a sailfin together with maybe a trigger or other aggressive fish?

I haven't but I've seen large tangs in with sharks at the aquarium. And tangs have their spines as weapons so they can defend themselves against other fish aggressive fish.

Jmkb02 said:
Ok well I was thinking of going more predator and was curious if anyone has kept a naso and/or a sailfin together with maybe a trigger or other aggressive fish?

If aggression is a big concern a blue throat is a "calmer" trigger and one of the nicer looking ones IMO

Yeah I was thinking of getting just one trigger to "run" the tank. I have a 275 gallon in the works now but my wife wants to redo the kitchen before we put it in so it's gonna be a little while before that goes in. I also have a pink watchman goby, I've looked everywhere and have found very little on them together in a tank. Know anything about their cohabiting?

That could be a problem. My trigger tears apart small fish. Also, if your looking to house predators like lionfish, groupers, etc then that watchman is gone.

IMO it depends on when you add them, in what order. We have a pink watchmen that was our very first fish...he was in a 54g corner and down the line added a variety of other more aggressive fish including a Niger trigger and passer angel. Btw, the goby did not like the passer, one nasty jerk!!! Needless to say, we have upgraded everyone to a 180g dee-luxe apartment in the sky...and they have always gotten along. The goby is now a bit skeptical of the lunar wrasse we added a few weeks ago, but he is hanging out under a rock cave and comes out now and again.

In short, add the goby first and the trigger almost last in order of most peaceful to most aggressive and you should be ok.

Good luck!!

Oh, and we don't have that passer angel anymore...mean, mean fish!!! Scared my fox face spotted everyday!

It really depends on the fish. Triggers go nits and kill everything pretty frequently actually. Your best bet would be a pinktail, Niger, bluethroat, sargassum, or crosshatch.

Thx for all the info guys. I'm leaning more and more as going with a community tank instead. I rhink im going to pick up a yellow tang and maybe another pair of cardinals.

Ok guys got the paine of glass repaired and it is currently in a water test. I came up on a HQI metal halide two bulb 300 watt lighting system. I was wondering if anyone knew or had any pros or cons on these systems. I have experience with t5ho's and leds but these are all new to me. Im worried of heating the tank. Any help would be appreciated.

img_2096633_0_01239a49b34ec902d724de247ee882ad.jpg

img_2096633_1_401eb0e830b00139f8d839273f254fb1.jpg

img_2096633_2_ee3f2a1125eb61504e6789c4fa45c82f.jpg

img_2096633_3_16cfe62ee7a60d131bb2e92b1d292605.jpg

This is the tank going through a water test and then the lights I mentioned above... Anyone use these before?

IMO the only difference would be the amount of light out off. Just gonna make ur bill go up but will end the end be worth it. Good luck.

Thanks, do you know if it will heat the tank at all?

I think it will hear the tank only 1 to 2 degrees. That's just my opinion though. Easy way to tell once your all
Done test the water without the lights then leave the lights on a few days and test again

Yeah I guess I'll just end up doing that, thanks again

Back
Top Bottom