Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New 125

I plan to start my 125 up within the next few weeks. I currently have a naso and sailfish tang that are going into it. Going to be running a fuge with all media in it. Going to hopefully be getting it drilled this week and cycle started by next week. Any ideas for it? Would love any input.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok well I was thinking of going more predator and was curious if anyone has kept a naso and/or a sailfin together with maybe a trigger or other aggressive fish?

Old 08-07-2012, 03:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I haven't but I've seen large tangs in with sharks at the aquarium. And tangs have their spines as weapons so they can defend themselves against other fish aggressive fish.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02
Ok well I was thinking of going more predator and was curious if anyone has kept a naso and/or a sailfin together with maybe a trigger or other aggressive fish?
If aggression is a big concern a blue throat is a "calmer" trigger and one of the nicer looking ones IMO
Old 08-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I was thinking of getting just one trigger to "run" the tank. I have a 275 gallon in the works now but my wife wants to redo the kitchen before we put it in so it's gonna be a little while before that goes in. I also have a pink watchman goby, I've looked everywhere and have found very little on them together in a tank. Know anything about their cohabiting?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

That could be a problem. My trigger tears apart small fish. Also, if your looking to house predators like lionfish, groupers, etc then that watchman is gone.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

IMO it depends on when you add them, in what order. We have a pink watchmen that was our very first fish...he was in a 54g corner and down the line added a variety of other more aggressive fish including a Niger trigger and passer angel. Btw, the goby did not like the passer, one nasty jerk!!! Needless to say, we have upgraded everyone to a 180g dee-luxe apartment in the sky...and they have always gotten along. The goby is now a bit skeptical of the lunar wrasse we added a few weeks ago, but he is hanging out under a rock cave and comes out now and again.

In short, add the goby first and the trigger almost last in order of most peaceful to most aggressive and you should be ok.

Good luck!!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh, and we don't have that passer angel anymore...mean, mean fish!!! Scared my fox face spotted everyday!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

It really depends on the fish. Triggers go nits and kill everything pretty frequently actually. Your best bet would be a pinktail, Niger, bluethroat, sargassum, or crosshatch.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thx for all the info guys. I'm leaning more and more as going with a community tank instead. I rhink im going to pick up a yellow tang and maybe another pair of cardinals.

Tags
125 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com