New 225 tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmgixxer

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a 225 and I have a 75 running fine. I was wondering if it would be safe to mix 150 gallons of new water and mix it with the cycled water and nothing happen to my fish? Of course after the correct heat and salinity levels.

you can, jsut don't suck out any sand from the old tank and re-acclimate the fish to the new tank. Just do it as if they were brand new to your tank.

But, I would do it it small stages. When you go moving things from one tank to another, things get stirred up. Just make sure to test the water everyday for any spikes(ammonia, nitrite.)

Last edited:
No because the bottom is dangerous to stir up. Use the same filter media because that holds alot of biological bacteria. You should be fine I didnt have my QT cycled and I took some pads from my sump put em in the filter and its pretty much cycled. GL!!!!!

You can use the sand if you rinse it first. very very well. Or just get pool filter sand, really really cheap, about $6 for 50lbs. :)

how old is the sand bed in the 75? if it's fairly new, it won't matter reusing it. if you move the rock over you are moving over the bacteria with it, so you should not see a spike. you'll just get a diatom bloom on the new surfaces.

I bought new sand and I did put most of my old one in the new tank. The one in the 75 is about 7 months old but every water change I move the sand around so I figured it was safe.

if you move it around with each water change it might be ok. i wouldn't suggest moving the sand bed around any more once you get it in the large tank.

Back
Top Bottom