New 3ft tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just added valentini puffer. Staying near the surface so far.

I had planned on 20lt water change a week till i get a skimmer, and monitor ( 195 lt tank). 20lt rodi water cost me $12 so planning on my own filtre down the track. I plan on only FOWLR but the guys at the LFS laughed and said "sure you will, heard that before". Maybe next tank when im more confident will be a reef tank.

Puffer is seriously into the heater cable ?? A gorgeous fish though.

Attachments

• image-1651417802.jpg
    image-1651417802.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 121
  • image-3429045895.jpg
    image-3429045895.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 115
You sure that's a valentini puffer? Doesn't look like one it looks like a mimic filefish to me

You sure that's a valentini puffer? Doesn't look like one it looks like a mimic filefish to me

Pic from the net. Looks the same to me although mine does have blue eyes.

Attachments

• image-272019416.jpg
    image-272019416.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 82
Pic from the net. Looks the same to me although mine does have blue eyes.

I now see the difference. Will be calling them tomorrow. I see the filefish has a point on the top, the puffer does not. Thanks for noticing and telling me.

I now see the difference. Will be calling them tomorrow. I see the filefish has a point on the top, the puffer does not. Thanks for noticing and telling me.

No problem just thought id mention it as didn't look right to me

Filefish can nip at corals, but otherwise are fine to have. I have one in my system. It's a model citizen and eats mostly algae.

Filefish can nip at corals, but otherwise are fine to have. I have one in my system. It's a model citizen and eats mostly algae.

Got a bit of algae so thats good. Is a bit of algae ok in your tank or is it a sign?

Algae means nutrients as that's what it feeds off, not a bad thing in small quantities but as it starts to appear may be worth water change

Algae means nutrients as that's what it feeds off, not a bad thing in small quantities but as it starts to appear may be worth water change

Does anyone know what this is? A hitchhiker i guess. Looks like some sort of Star fish thingy.

Attachments

• image-2584704663.jpg
    image-2584704663.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 89
File fish very shy but active if i hide. Hasnt eaten yet. I am using this food below. Was told he had been eating it. Only put a few in but no go yet.

Attachments

• image-2087103252.jpg
    image-2087103252.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 88
Looks like a bristle star, harmless but I have heard of tanks that are overrun by them and others who grow quite big and can eat fish. That small is a helpful little filter feeder...

None of the ones you will get on live rock will grow any larger than you see there, and they are good scavengers. the ones that eat fish are the ones you see at the LFS for sale. The large green ones.

As for the food, you should have made them feed it in front of you before buying it. They do tend to tell stories here and there. That said, go to the LFS and pick up some live black worms or blood worms if he's not eating. Mine ate only those for a couple weeks, but never went to flake. I've had him a year and he still turns his nose up to flake and pellets. I feed him frozen chopped fish and shrimp mostly, along with nori on a clip of course.

Last edited:
None of the ones you will get on live rock will grow any larger than you see there, and they are good scavengers. the ones that eat fish are the ones you see at the LFS for sale. The large green ones.

As for the food, you should have made them feed it in front of you before buying it. They do tend to tell stories here and there. That said, go to the LFS and pick up some live black worms or blood worms if he's not eating. Mine ate only those for a couple weeks, but never went to flake. I've had him a year and he still turns his nose up to flake and pellets. I feed him frozen chopped fish and shrimp mostly, along with nori on a clip of course.

Do you need a chiller for a reef only or do some fish need a chiller ?

You want consistent water temps. If you can keep you tank about the same temp all year long, I think chillers are not necessary. If you are like me and live in the desert where its gonna be 120 this weekend, a chiller is better than running the AC all day.

Very few fish need water lower than 78 degrees. There are some cold water fish though (Catalina gobies come to mind) and they likely would need a chiller.

Back
Top Bottom