New 3ft tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most say they are invaluable, but I don't use one. I find that the best medicine for a sick fish is a stress free environment. I believe my display to be closer to that than an empty tank with a couple pieces of bright white pvc pipes in it.

I agree with Mr X that being stress- free takes care of a lot. Most marine ailments are stress related in one way or another. With not using QT (at least with new additions) you run the risk of introducing something nasty into your tank. To me, that can be an expensive gamble. I've been on both the winning and losing sides of that over the years, so I QT new additions now.

I'd have to agree I have lost my entire dt tank due to marine velvet when I started ... I qt all new fish I have not lost any in two years now since ...prevention is the key..

I'd have to agree I have lost my entire dt tank due to marine velvet when I started ... I qt all new fish I have not lost any in two years now since ...prevention is the key..

No i think Money is the key..

Most say they are invaluable, but I don't use one. I find that the best medicine for a sick fish is a stress free environment. I believe my display to be closer to that than an empty tank with a couple pieces of bright white pvc pipes in it.

Do you mean a well thought out tank with heaps of cover

I agree with Mr X that being stress- free takes care of a lot. Most marine ailments are stress related in one way or another. With not using QT (at least with new additions) you run the risk of introducing something nasty into your tank. To me, that can be an expensive gamble. I've been on both the winning and losing sides of that over the years, so I QT new additions now.

I thought Mr X said he doesn't use a QT. I couldnt afford another tank to QT. im in enough trouble with the misses as it is with this tank ( my Second 3ft tank ). Maybe ill just stick with the Moray. I do have a 20 gallon there not being used just dont have a filtre etc .

Thats a great pic of the Clown fish.

I thought Mr X said he doesn't use a QT. I couldnt afford another tank to QT. im in enough trouble with the misses as it is with this tank ( my Second 3ft tank ). Maybe ill just stick with the Moray. I do have a 20 gallon there not being used just dont have a filtre etc .

Mr X does not. While I admire him for his experience and knowledge (I really do, no sarcasm there), I think that the average aquarist runs a big risk of introducing nasty things into their tanks by not using QT prior to adding new fish.

I did not QT many years ago (I've done salt for 20 years or so) and had a tank with probably $800 worth of fish in it. I added a wrasse as my final addition. It ended up having marine velvet and within a week, I lost everything. Expensive lesson learned. Stress-free is invaluable and does a lot to keep fish healthy and even overcome some things. It does not always work for severe cases. That's just my 80,000 cents of advice though. :)

Todd's been doing this for about twice as long as me. I've never had anything that severe happen. In a bit over 10 years I lost 1 fish to ich. It was an achilles tang. Good luck I guess.
Meanwhile, you could use the 20 as a qt. You don't even need a "filter". You could just leave some media in your sump of your DT, like some ceramic rings or bio balls for a month or two and toss them in the QT tank, or you could try that bottled bacteria. A power head or two and some PVC pipes/elbows for them to hide in, and there's your QT.

Todd's been doing this for about twice as long as me. I've never had anything that severe happen. In a bit over 10 years I lost 1 fish to ich. It was an achilles tang. Good luck I guess.

I've been doing it for a while, but you've got me beat knowledge-wise Mr X. :). I just speak from my experiences. I've rarely got Ich and only had to treat once with hypo. Couple other times, it was not bad and the fish just "got over it". Velvet kicked my tank's butt back then and then again more recently when I did not QT a new addition because I let my son use my QT for a hermit crab science fair project. My tank is sitting fallow now, just waiting...

For BB, I keep a piece of sponge in the back of my tank and pull it out when needed.

Meanwhile, you could use the 20 as a qt. You don't even need a "filter". You could just leave some media in your sump of your DT, like some ceramic rings or bio balls for a month or two and toss them in the QT tank, or you could try that bottled bacteria. A power head or two and some PVC pipes/elbows for them to hide in, and there's your QT.

Good idea

I've been doing it for a while, but you've got me beat knowledge-wise Mr X. :). I just speak from my experiences. I've rarely got Ich and only had to treat once with hypo. Couple other times, it was not bad and the fish just "got over it". Velvet kicked my tank's butt back then and then again more recently when I did not QT a new addition because I let my son use my QT for a hermit crab science fair project. My tank is sitting fallow now, just waiting...

For BB, I keep a piece of sponge in the back of my tank and pull it out when needed.

Whats Velvet?

Me X What do you think about UV sterilisers, i heard they are good for getting rid of algae .

The only algae they will get rid of is "green water". Nothing that grows on surfaces. I don't think a UV sterilizer is something you would want on a reef tank.

The only algae they will get rid of is "green water". Nothing that grows on surfaces. I don't think a UV sterilizer is something you would want on a reef tank.

I had one on a 45g reef years ago. My LFS swore that it would keep algae at bay and I'd never get stuff like Ich. It's so nice that we now have the Internet and sites like this to give good advice. I agree with Mr X...it only gets what in the water column and can't touch what's on rocks or sand. Makes perfect sense when you really think about it. For algae, watch that you are not overfeeding and consider CUC critters that eat algae or get fish that do the same. Much less expensive and look better than a UV unit IMO. :)

I had one on a 45g reef years ago. My LFS swore that it would keep algae at bay and I'd never get stuff like Ich. It's so nice that we now have the Internet and sites like this to give good advice. I agree with Mr X...it only gets what in the water column and can't touch what's on rocks or sand. Makes perfect sense when you really think about it. For algae, watch that you are not overfeeding and consider CUC critters that eat algae or get fish that do the same. Much less expensive and look better than a UV unit IMO. :)

Ok... Have noticed a bit of algae on the corner of one of my live rock pieces that wasnt there before.

Pic of algae

Attachments

• image-3516339505.jpg
    image-3516339505.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 106
Back
Top Bottom