New 75G FOWLER Tank ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rushopkins

Aquarium Advice Regular
75 Gallon Tank
80 lbs - CaribSea Arag-Alive Saltwater Gravel
1 - Powerhead: : Maxi Jet 1200
1 - Aqueon Aqueon QuietFlow Power Filter: : 55/75 - Up to 90 Gallons
2 - Via Aqua ViaAqua Quartz Heaters: : 200 Watt - 50 Gallon
1 - Marineland Double Bright LED Lighting System: 1800 Lumens - (24 White LEDs / 12 Blue LEDs)

Water Temp: 80F
PH: 8.2
Hydro Reading: 1.023

Ran for one week before adding Two Medium Cured Live Rocks with Growth.
Ran for one more week then added Four more Cured Live Rocks with Growth.
Ran for one another week then added Two Clown Fish.

I'm familiar with Freshwater Tanks and the Nitrogen Cycle but not sure if the cycle is the same with saltwater and how the live rock and live sand will effect this cycle.

Am I still looking at a couple of months to complete the cycle? Or recommendations or anything that I'm doing wrong so far?

RH

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 96
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 72
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 92
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 76
I'd say you need more rock also I'd recommend a skimmer over a filter you will need to dose with an ammonia sorce and once the bacteria break ammonia down in one at your ready to add fish

Will the two clown fish with food and their waste create enough ammonia to start the cycle?

It will take awhile, but it will start a cycle eventually. the only downside is that you have fish in there that will suffer with the ammonia and nitrites unless you do alot of water changes once the levels start to rise.

I honestly thought that adding fish was the only way to start the cycle.

Thats the way it used to be done, but these days people will jump start a cylce by introducing a dead shrimp to decay and produce ammonia or adding pure ammonia. It can be done with fish but most likely will take more time and cost more as far as doing very frequent water changes. It's up to you how to proceed at this point. Both ways will work. :)

Will the live rock and live sand help at all with the ammonia or nitrites?

Actually, they will. The beneficial bacteria will be on that live rock adn will help with the ammonia and nitrites. I would monitor the water daily though and if the levels rise be prepared to do a water change.

Do I need to add a bacteria starter also? I thought the live sand and the live rock would be good enough but I'm probably wrong...

Depends on how much rock you have really, when I do a new tank i move existing rock from one of my mature tanks and put that in and it allows me to add fish almost immediately. BUT I always add a ton of rock which is very important. You are quite light on the rock. I wouldnt add anything more for a bit, until you are sure the live rock that you have is processing the waste. Bacteria starter probably wouldnt hurt, just not sure how much help it can be. Like I said, just keep an eye on your water and go from there.
Wish i could be of more help......but thats the best I can do. :)

Back
Top Bottom